Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve recently bought a new build house.

I’m looking to change a standard double panel 600mm x 600mm radiator to a vertical radiator which is 1800mm x 480 mm. The vertical radiator weighs around 45-50kg before water. I think the current one is probably only 20kg before water.

The current radiator isn’t attached to any studs. There’s only one stud available for the new radiator to be attached to.

There’s 4 brackets to hang the new radiator from. Do you think one side of the radiator (one top bracket and one bottom bracket) can be attached to the stud and the other two on the other side just the plasterboard? Will it hold?

The other option is to get some feet for the radiator. They come with holes to screw them to the floor. If it’s being attached to the wall anyway will I need to screw them down? I don’t really want to be drilling holes in my new floor if I can avoid it.

The pipes come out the centre of the wall on flexible plastic pipes. I’m thinking of moving these and having them come out the wall near either valve so the radiator can sit closer to the wall. The plastic box the pipes come out of is quite deep. Has anyone done this before? I’m not sure what fittings I’d need for where the pipes come out of the wall in the new position?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One side into stud and proper plasterboard fixings on the other will be fine.

Read the instalation instructions for your new vertical rad, some have baffles installed and are flow sensitive, or in simple terms the flow can only be connected to one side, where your existing rad it wont matter, if you connect the return to the flow end of your vertical rad , and it has a baffle it wont work

Sponsored Links
Change the plastic to copper tails coming out of the wall... Looks much better.

Or use corner valves... That way you'll see the minimum amount of pipework... About 20-30mm straight into the valve, with a pipe collar hiding it as it comes out of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back