Fixing a heavy radiator to plasterboard partition wall

Result, the radiator I've chosen is only 42kg, light as a feather!!

Next problem is I can't find the drain down for the radiators, I fear its under the kitchen flooring which is the only room downstairs I'm not taking up, sods law.

Sponsored Links
goto the radiator you want to change, and isolate both valves. Get your self a tub/bucket and sheet. open air vent and bleed excess pressure and close.

Open nut to radiator and ease pipe work and drain rad into tub/bucket. You could also turn rad upside down, fingers on ends of rad flow and return (2 man job dependant on size of rad and take outside to drain).

The stick hose pipe with bit of copper and nut/olive on rad valve and drain system. JOB DONE :-0

Result, the radiator I've chosen is only 42kg, light as a feather!!

Next problem is I can't find the drain down for the radiators, I fear its under the kitchen flooring which is the only room downstairs I'm not taking up, s***s law.

That feather weighs a little over 92 1/2 lbs. So hardly featherweight.

Looking at price of reina rads get someone in tight arse you can afford it. ;)

Sponsored Links
Change of plan again, it is being fixed to 18mm ply behind the plasterboard, should be enough. Will use hollow anchors to secure it as well. Should be up to the job.

There is a process called tosh nailing which only the most skillful of joiners know how to do.
However, if you want to attach a piece of timber to a plasterboard wall then screw the radiator brackets to that then this is the method to choose (perhaps some no nails on the back of the timber would add to the support.

I would try a post in the chippies section (they will know more about this method than I do).

servotech,

What is essentially a simple task has become mighty discussion task.

Change of plan again, it is being fixed to 18mm ply behind the plasterboard, should be enough. Will use hollow anchors to secure it as well. Should be up to the job.
:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

why spend a tenner on perfectly adequate plasterboard toggles when you can spend hundreds on a joiner, plasterer, and decorator?

Using cavity fixings often gets the job done but it in my opinion needs a ' do not touch' notice to be attached to the radiator also. Bottom cavity fixing need only support down ward force exerted by the radiator. Upper fixing meanwhile, is subjected to downward as well as forward force.

I have seen plasterboard sheet belly up around the upper fixing, seen radiators lying on the floor still attached to micro bore pipes, seen items of furniture sat in front of the radiator to keep it on the wall. Had a call from a client some months ago whose boiler was fixed to the wall with toggles. Top of the boiler was coming away from the wall which I pointed out to him first time I went to see him. Boiler now had parted company with the flue and was ready to fall

Wall fixings light different wattage bulbs in each individuals mind. I have seen rawlplugs in platerdepth with screws cannot be torqued etc. I would prefer a rawlpug to sit in material that has substance, screw of appropriate size to then screw into the rawplug and not keep turning. Point of the exercise is, do you want the item that is being fixed to the wall to stay put or are you looking for it to stay there until you get to your horse and ride away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back