Hardwiring Under Cupboard Lights - What connector?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We recently moved house and the existing kitchen is fine apart from the lights under the cupboards - they are downlighters but the transformers have been clipped under the cupboards rather than placed on top and ran down. The reason for this I guess is that there is no gap whatsoever at the back of the units to run the wire down.

The lights are controlled by a switch next to the main light switch. What I want to do is keep this but replace the down lights for a polished steel strip with a built in transformer - thus doing away with the unsightly transformers and clips under my units!!

My main question is - most of the strips with built in transformers appear to have plugs for plugging into the mains. Can these be connected in any way to the existing wiring I have using a connector?

If I have missed anything please let me know!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Very often the "plug" is also a power controller that converts the mains 230 volts to a much lower voltage for the lamps. So the "plug" has to be used as it is.

Really - I thought that would have been the transformer built into the light unit? Do you have any other suggestions, I really want shot of all the clips/wiring and transformers!

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Has anyone got any other suggestions as to my options?

Thank you.

check you can get a steel strip with built-in transformer.

check if they do a 240 v version.

check you have an earth present for fittings that require one.

consider fluorescent strips, double insulated versions are available.

for joining cables outside of fittings always use some kind of enclosed junction box fixed securely to the surface, or a suitable plug-in connector.

Hi,

Has anyone got any other suggestions as to my options?

Thank you.
Fluorescent lights.

Better light and more efficient. Halogen get stupidly hot and make small pools of light. Yuck.

says it has a built in tx, and the picture shows a fig8 connector, usually 230V, so I'd say its likely you could chop off the plug.

Thanks Steve. I'll get these and take a look before chopping them up!

One last question (or 2). Am I correct in saying that these will not require earthing - I just want to make sure?

Lastly, what is a suitale connector for if I do chop the plugs off, I know any enclosed connection has been suggested but is there anything specific for the job?

Many thanks once again.

Do you just have a twin and earth cable coming out of the wall at the moment to supply the existing under cupboard lights?

Normally I would use a 2" white junction box for this.

If you butt it upto the wall so the T&E comes straight into the side of it, and screw it to the underside of the cabinet. Then run the little white flex to the light fitting carefully, untwisted and straight with a few clips. it looks quite neat IMO.

Be careful as the nails on your clips might be longer than the cabinet bottom is thick.

Fantastic - thanks for all of your help everyone, I should have this mess tidied in a jiffy!!

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back