Has my neighbour been duped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour....while getting some landscaping done, decided to let the same company high pressure jet wash the brickwork on the whole property (1930s brick) to clean them They have also, after the pressure wash, decided to chop out all the old mortar using a circular cutting disk. A close look shows they have not been entirely accurate with the disc cutting, catching the bricks in various places(nicking and cutting the edges of some bricks). I presume they will re-point...hopefully with the appropriate strength mortar.

Is this a standard/accepted way of doing the job....or does it smell like a cowboy operation?

I have heard nightmare stories of pressure washing in the past and tried to subtly tell them to be careful.....but to no avail.

Thoughts welcome...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
or does it smell like a cowboy operation?

Short answer - yes.

Is your neighbour elderly?
How is the work being paid for?
Is the 'company' doing the work traceable?

Landscaping turns into pressure washing turns into re-pointing!

Walls can be jet washed, and pointing can be cut out with a disc saw. So yes, it's standard and accepted.

Sponsored Links
It depends on whether your neighbour asked them to do the job or was talked into it. It also depends on the type of brickwork and mortar as to what is the appropriate cleaning method. In many cases the brickwork is better to be left alone.

I'll take a picture.....when no one is looking.....:sneaky:

There is nothing I can really do.....and I am not getting involved....they are not elderly so it is not a situation like that. It was more for my own curiosity.

The brickwork looks to have now lost it's hard glaze outer layer now. It now has a matt look. There bricks were not in a mess, they just had a nice age/weathered look to them. Weather they asked for it or it was sold to them....I have no idea.

If they are doing a decent job then that is fine. I just like to know out of curiousity if it is a good job and the appropriate method of doing it.

I'll take a picture.....when no one is looking.....:sneaky:

There is nothing I can really do.....and I am not getting involved....they are not elderly so it is not a situation like that. It was more for my own curiosity.

The brickwork looks to have now lost it's hard glaze outer layer now. It now has a matt look. There bricks were not in a mess, they just had a nice age/weathered look to them. Weather they asked for it or it was sold to them....I have no idea.

If they are doing a decent job then that is fine. I just like to know out of curiousity if it is a good job and the appropriate method of doing it.

I'd get really suspicious when the tarmac/block paving gang turn up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back