Has my neighbour been duped?

Pressure washing walls? I'd not be doing that, it falls into the same category as pressure washing roofs for me. Although I'm not even someone who'd pressure wash block paving but I know many people do it with no issues.

Sponsored Links
Well, to their credit, they seem to be doing a competant job with the driveway.

It is just this pressure washer stuff that concerns me. My neighbour said it was not just a pressure was but a stong acid based wash.

For your interest, here are some images.

View media item 99629
That is a rough before, it is from my wall but gives an impression of the brickwork glaze before hand. Their existing pointing was in better condition than that.

And this is after their pressure/acid wash and pointing rake:
(you can see the bricks now have a matt look, like they have lost their glaze)

View media item 99634View media item 99635:View media item 99628
And then post re-pointing but not cleaned down....obviously

View media item 99631View media item 99633
Is it possible that the new mortar will be too hard for that type/age of brick?

Sponsored Links
Well, it looks OK to me, I think if he's happy with the cosmetic side there won't be any long term complications.
Just seems a bit unnecessary to me.

The bricks faces looks dreadful, the old mortar wasn't raked out anywhere deep enough and the pointing looks to be too strong.

It looks 'acceptable'.
I'm a bricklayer and I consider myself to be one of the best slab layers in the county.
Ho hum.

I would guess that as the brick face has lost the glaze (which is a shame), the excess mortar is going to prove even more difficult to shift.

... and that's something I'd have difficulty living with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back