Has this wall been dashed all its life?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The side walls of my building are pebble dash over random stone with line mortar. Inside is engineering brick, EGW bonded to the stone every 3 courses, with a rubble fill. The building was built in 1926 and has a coursed stone (non dashed) front wall. At the corners are castellated large blocks of stone that tie the corner, and they're flush with the pebbledash. I was under the impression that it had been dashed all its life and the render was a vital part of the weatherproofing of the wall. A builder friend disagreed, saying that pebble dashing with Portland cement mortar hadn't been invented in 1926.

The question comes about because I'm wondering whether it'd be a good idea to strip the pebble dashing off back to the original stone, or not. It'd certainly be prettier, but I don't want to cause a problem with moisture ingress leading to problems for the outer skin; it's quite an exposed location

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
You have a lime mortar in the stone joins & the brick beds, and a sand & cement render for the dash.
The render was a retro installation to prevent penetrating moisture.
So dont strip off the render leave as is, it looks to be in good condition.

If you have interior damp signs then thats a different matter.

Portland cement as we know it has been around for a couple of centuries. In many parts of the country cement replaced lime in the early part of the 20thC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back