Haunted garage door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this is the right forum but I couldn't find another!

Our automated garage door closes completely and then about 3 times out of 10 it opens up again about 18 inches off the ground then stays still. In fact, it's done it 3 times this morning so it's getting worse.

We've checked there are no impediments to make it open up and it's all clear. It means we can't trust it to close properly so have to wait and watch it.

Luckily it's only 5 months old so under warranty but I wondered if anyone had any idea why it's doing this? It's a Garador one by the way.

Grateful for any ideas!

Sponsored Links
Ah - the perils of automation. Do you actually need it, or just want it?

Anyway - under warranty - get the installer in.

Some garage doors can detect that the door has been obstructed as it is moving. When obstruction is detected it should stop and then reverse to release any one who may have been trapped by the door.

What you describe suggests the system is falsely "detecting an obstruction before it has reached the closed position and is reacting as it should do. Detection can be by sensors along the edge of the door or by sensing an increase in current to the motor when it has to push against the obstruction.

Possibly the limit switch for fully closed needs to be adjusted.

Or the current sensor needs adjusting or there is something [/i]mechanically sticky[/i] when the door is almost closed.

Thanks, yes it does have built in detectors in that it opens again if it detects something in its way. But there is nothing in its way! We cleared any possible obstructions and my car rear bumper is a good 12 inches away from the door.

Also, in reply to other poster, we had it automated cos it weighs a ton, being steel - when I pulled a back muscle I couldn't physically open it! Otherwise would not have bothered.

Luckily garage door engineer is coming next Thursday, I just wondered what we might do to stop it happening in the interim. This morning it did it 3 times and I though it would never stay shut!

Some garage doors can detect that the door has been obstructed as it is moving. When obstruction is detected it should stop and then reverse to release any one who may have been trapped by the door.

What you describe suggests the system is falsely "detecting an obstruction before it has reached the closed position and is reacting as it should do. Detection can be by sensors along the edge of the door or by sensing an increase in current to the motor when it has to push against the obstruction.

Possibly the limit switch for fully closed needs to be adjusted.

Or the current sensor needs adjusting or there is something [/i]mechanically sticky[/i] when the door is almost closed.

Sponsored Links
If obstruction is being detected by increase in motor current then almost certainly it is an engineer job to adjust the setting inside the controller.

I just wondered what we might do to stop it happening in the interim.
Try some 3-in-1 on the guides of the door. Don't put any on the electrickery bit or anything that's part of the automation mechanism, just incase they get funny about it.

[/quote]
Try some 3-in-1 on the guides of the door. Don't put any on the electrickery bit or anything that's part of the automation mechanism, just incase they get funny about it.[/quote]

What are the guides please?

Try some 3-in-1 on the guides of the door. Don't put any on the electrickery bit or anything that's part of the automation mechanism, just incase they get funny about it.[/quote]

What are the guides please?[/quote]

Come on BAS .. this answer just has to come from you ;)

ua83124.jpg

Definitely no 3-in-1.

Baby oil, maybe, but not 3-in-1.

Is this an up and over door or a sectional, If its a sectional door then the top guide wheels may need adjusting slightly.

I am now wary of automatic garage doors. My father-in-law had them fitted and I have regularly had to call on him to tell him they are open. When he could not find his remote I asked about manual closing and opening and found there was no override and the consumer unit was inside the garage. Recalled the fitters who then fitted a lock and pin system so pin can be removed allowing manual opening but one would need to be very strong.

Think there were designed for where there is also a personal door and I would never consider them as only assess to a garage.

I am now wary of automatic garage doors. My father-in-law had them fitted and I have regularly had to call on him to tell him they are open. When he could not find his remote I asked about manual closing and opening and found there was no override and the consumer unit was inside the garage. Recalled the fitters who then fitted a lock and pin system so pin can be removed allowing manual opening but one would need to be very strong.

Think there were designed for where there is also a personal door and I would never consider them as only assess to a garage.

We have an override system in case of power cuts, probably because it's a new door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back