Have all builders got too much work on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had 6 builders round now, only one has got back with a quote. A couple more didn't even get as far as turning up to look at the job. Anybody in Bristol actually want some work?

Sponsored Links
It will depend on the type and volume of work you want doing.
Don't believe the motto "no job too small" and some builders wont take big jobs on either.

Sponsored Links
Most builders will take 4-6 weeks to get back with a quote unless the job is really small ( less than 8-10k). How long did you wait?

Some builders won't have anything to do with you if you got their details from yellow pages. They assume that if you didn't get their name from a reference you're only calling them in to compare a quote. If they found out the above on the site visit, that may explain why they're not bothering with you, if they found that out in the initial phone call, they may say they'll get back to you but never do so.

The one thing to remember about builders is that they are almost never straight with you in telling you that they don't want a job. It's only happened to me once. All the other times they had repeated van breakdowns or some other excuse each time and you have to kind of figure it out from the clues.

For small jobs I can recommend hiring someone on a day rate. Less hassle for the builder, he just turns up, and no risk for him in quoting. If he quotes it can go one of two ways - either he rushes the job because he's set himself a deadline or he asks too much and you have to pay. No guarantees for the work, but unless you find a complete muppet you can generally afford to do the job twice in comparison to quoted work. You usually get it done without the VAT as well.

But it all depends on the nature of the job, of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back