Have to reset boiler after 30 mins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, oil was running low on thursday so got 500litres on Friday, it may have run out on friday morning before it was refilled but I cant be sure, since then my heating has not been working correctly.

I have to reset the boiler and then it will fire up and all the radiators in the house will heat up and then after 30 minutes or so the boiler will cut off and I have to press the reset on the boiler, I have avoided doing this just incase I am causing damage.

I have bled all the radiators and pump just incase.

I also bled the boiler of oil but not sure if I did this correctly or not, there was a small brass coloured nut above where the oil supply enters which I loosened and then oil started coming out at pressure, then I tightened it again as I assumed there was no air, I only did this for a few seconds.

If anyone could shed any lights on this it would be appreciated, if you need any more information about my boiler etc just let me know.

David

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a Worcester boiler with a Bentone burner

Check your oil filter for dirt you could have pulled some muck through from bottom of your tank when you ran out.
Failing that I think you may need a new solenoid coil as they usually have that fault pattern when they go, the fact you ran out of oil may have nothing to do with the fault.

Dave

Are youpressing the burner reset or the boiler overheat stat?
If burner, suspect the oil solenoid coil. If the overheat stat, check that pump is working.

Hi, thanks for the replies, I am pressing the reset on the burner, when I press the reset on the stat it does nothing.

I have removed what I think is the solenoid, it just looks like a small bit of plastic with a hole in the middle and 3 wires coming from it, what does this part do anyway?

What sucks is that there is no local parts suppliers in my town and the ones outside my town are 9-5 and I work 9-5 so cant get them then, I have found one place thats open from half 7 so will be an early morning tomorrow and lets hope they have it because I have searched the part number online with no joy.

This will also be the third time in the last year its broke down lol.

Cheers for the help everyone
David

Sponsored Links
The coil you have in your hand is indeed the most likely culprit....when they are getting on a bit its heat that causes them to fail.
Within the oil pump there is a valve - when this coil has power flowing through it the valve opens and allows oil to pass from the pump to the nozzle.
A Danfoss coil is around £30, and the wire just plugs into it.....not too good value when a complete pump, with coil, costs around £75.
Post a pic of the thing with some more burner ID and we'll help you get a replacement.
John :)

I managed to get a new coil this morning, fitted it and the boiler fired up and started to heat the radiators, I left the heat on constant and came back in from work and its off again, the boiler has power and when I press the red reset light on the burner it fires up again.

Has anyone any idea what would be causing this?

David

Its very difficult to say David - but at this point you need to have the burner serviced, and set up properly using a pressure gauge and a flue gas analyser.
None of this will be of much use if the boiler baffles are coked up with soot though!
Its also a good move to replace or clean the filter at the tank end, and see if there's any water in the filter bowl.....who knows what may have been disturbed when the new oil was pumped in.

Hi John, thanks for the reply. How much should I expect to pay for a service and to diagnose the fault?

My brother seems to think it could be the stat although the boiler is getting power, I was trying to test the voltage coming into the boiler but my multi meter wouldnt give a reading so I opened the stat and was trying to test the voltage while holding a torch in my hand and accidently shorted the live to earth and blew the fuse in the spare and also my multi meter (doh, was only a cheap one so could have been faulty anyway) fitted new fuse and pressed reset on boiler and it fired back up. When the boiler was running if I turn the stat down the boiler knocks off and if I turn it up it comes back on so I assume it is OK anyway.

It lasted about an hour tonight before not coming back on, all the radiators in the house heated up etc.

Cheers
David

A burner lockout is a fault with the burner David - not the boiler. That seems to be just fine! Ask around for service prices - £80 or so for a full one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back