Header Tank Filling up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please Help. My header tank is filling and then overflowing. Am pretty sure it is associated with using the shower from a bath / shower combined tap set, and probably cold going up the expansion. What is the best cure. If its a non return valve, where does it fit? Is there another cure? Also am very confused as I have a small worcester combi boiler and yet have a header tank. Could you also explain this. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Do you mean header tank, nothing to do with the domestic water or storage tank which feeds the cylinder

yes the cold water storage tank in the loft is what I mean. I always thought these were not used in a combi system.

Sponsored Links
Not as far as I know, actually its my daughters flat. it is possible as I am aware of what she calls an "airing cupbouard" do you have these with a combi?

Kevplumb. Thanks for trying to help, reckon there maybe a tank as well as a combi. She is away, so I cant ask. will post again when I have the info.cheers

What about the cold and the hot somehow getting together at the shower mixer and pushing up the expansion pipe?

tank is in loft, boiler half way up wall in kitchen on floor below say 3M head boiler to tank. Mixer taps (bathroom) are down another half set of stairs, probably level with floor of the kitchen say 4-4.5M head to tank. No idea on model of worcester except its pretty small in physical size (only 4 room flat. Thanks for your patience

If the cold feed for shower mixer is fed from storage tank and hot is from a combi boiler which is mains fed you have unequal pressures and in some rare occasions water can go back up cold feed and give the symptoms you describe, if you fit a non return valve to cold feed to shower mixer pipe this will cure it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back