Header tank overflow

Pipe from big tank (I'm not a plumber!) is putting water into header tank. Not at a great rate mind, but it is occurring.
Which pipe from the big tank are you talking about? Post a pic showing tanks and pipework!

The two tanks will usually share a common cold water feed, which tees off to the ball valve on each tank. Apart from that there should not be any pipes linking the tank.

If the coil has gone the water level in the big tank can rise; but this will cause water to flow out of the overflow of the big tank, not the small tank.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Header is over-flowing even though ball cock set very low. Water from the main tank in roof is coming into header tank causing the level to rise. Have lobbed in sludge remover.
How did you come to this conclusion?

Hi

Because I have just come down from the loft! Turned heating on and waited to see what happens. Pipe from big tank (I'm not a plumber!) is putting water into header tank. Not at a great rate mind, but it is occurring.

Heating and hot water all working fine (apart from one rad that's a bit temperamental, but that's another issue).
any chance of a photo of this

is the (main ) tank as you call it it overflowing into small tank it could just be the main tank ballvalve is set too high or dripping not leaving enough room for the expansion of the cylinder as its heated.

give us a pic or drawing.

hate keep playing guessing games its not fun.

OK. It's definitely NOT from the overflow.

It's a 22mm pipe that comes up from the airing cupboard. Two other pipes join into it. One comes straight up from the boiler in the garage, the other one has the valves and the pumps on it.

As another poser, the water coming into header tank (why is it called f/e tank) is hot, and I can't work out what causes it to do so. There doesn't seem to be a pattern (that I can identify) when it does. It might do it when boiler is running, and it might do it when it is not. Strange.

Luckily I am an electrician so have some plumber friends to call on if I have to get a pro in :)

Sponsored Links
give us a pic or drawing.

hate keep playing guessing games its not fun.

OK. It's definitely NOT from the overflow.

It's a 22mm pipe that comes up from the airing cupboard. Two other pipes join into it. One comes straight up from the boiler in the garage, the other one has the valves and the pumps on it.

As another poser, the water coming into header tank (why is it called f/e tank) is hot, and I can't work out what causes it to do so. There doesn't seem to be a pattern (that I can identify) when it does. It might do it when boiler is running, and it might do it when it is not. Strange.

Luckily I am an electrician so have some plumber friends to call on if I have to get a pro in :)

P.S. Can't draw!! And if I could wouldn't have a clue how to put picture up on here!!!

is the (main ) tank as you call it it overflowing into small tank it could just be the main tank ballvalve is set too high or dripping not leaving enough room for the expansion of the cylinder as its heated.

the ball valve sticking. op has said it only happens when heating on.
so its not the ball valve sticking.

the main cws should never fill the f/e in anyway or be linked in anyway.

feed/expansion tank

as you discribe the system vent pipe is pumping over.

never seen a f/e vent pipe pump over when boiler not running.
only if pump is still running on pump overrun etc

the ball valve sticking. op has said it only happens when heating on.
so its not the ball valve sticking.

the main cws should never fill the f/e in anyway or be linked in anyway.

Sorry, I'm sure it has been dripping when off too. Does this make a difference to the diagnosis?

is the small fed & expansion tank (f&e) rusty orange inside. if so its been pumping over a while. how olds the system. if you can extend the vent high enough then back to the tank. the vent must be well fixed & finish at least 1" above the overflow of the tank.if this stops this pumping over the tank will cool down & the air ingress should stop but sounds you will allready have some flushing of the systm to do. Are any of your rads cold in the bottom centre?

is the small fed & expansion tank (f&e) rusty orange inside. if so its been pumping over a while. how olds the system. if you can extend the vent high enough then back to the tank. the vent must be well fixed & finish at least 1" above the overflow of the tank.if this stops this pumping over the tank will cool down & the air ingress should stop but sounds you will allready have some flushing of the systm to do. Are any of your rads cold in the bottom centre?

Bought the house nearly 18 months ago. One of the previous owners was a plumber I know. The two tanks in loft are black plastic (not metal), and neatly lagged. Don't know how old cylinder is, but boiler is a Potterton NetaHeat.

One rad in bottom centre is a git to heat up, you've got that one right.

Bit lost about all that vent stuff!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back