Heat resistant paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have a Valor Harmony gas fire.
It is the type that fits flush to the wall.
I have a problem with the wallpaper discolouring and the emullsion paint covering splitting.
It is 'al fresco' type wallpaper. I think it is the air in this type of wallpaper that warms up, expands and splits.
Is there a type of heat risistant paint I could use to stop this happening?
I don't really want to strip the paper and use flat stuff, the wall would probably need skimming.
I have also thought of some sort of metal / tile surround but not sure that it would look too good.
Any ideas or thoughts on the paint or anything else?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Well there are available heat resistant paints yet they offer little choice with regard to colour and are not really intended for the purpose you require.

If this an on going problem you would be advised to install a fire surround.

Dec

Well I really dont think that a flame retardent system will help you here, if you wish to give them a try Dulux Trade do a product called Pyroshield that may be worth a look at.

Dec

Sponsored Links
That may do, it must be better than normal paint.
I'll perhaps pose the question to them.
Cheers.

I think that you should contact Dulux to see what advice they have to offer, just bear in mind that discolouration from a heat source is a natural reaction. Also before you offer any thought with regard to purchase may I ask you if you dont mind to let me know what they have to say.

Dec

Yes of course, If I get an answer I shall let you know.

We get alot of discolouration.
Even the glass is discoloured with no way of cleaning it.
It is our useless gas pressure here.
We've had new pipes, new meter etc etc, still the flames in the fire die down when the power shower goes on!!

If you check your fires installation guide, I'm sure you will find it says that the hanging of blown vinyls (Super Fresco etc), embossed or flock wallpapers should be considered before doing so. It is a standard clause with all modern gas fires due to the fact that the problems you describe nearly always occur. Some manuals will even tell you not to hang these types of paper directly above the appliance as they are considered combustible materials, whereas standard flat papers would be fine, although still liable to discolour.

It will be interesting to find out if the paint/s you are considering would make a difference to the situation.

Yes of course, If I get an answer I shall let you know.

We get alot of discolouration.
Even the glass is discoloured with no way of cleaning it.
It is our useless gas pressure here.
We've had new pipes, new meter etc etc, still the flames in the fire die down when the power shower goes on!!

Thanks for that.

Dec

MR H, yes it does and I did know this before the fire went in.
There is no mention of a hazard, just the chance of this splitting.
The paper was already up and I thought I would give it a try.
It is quite a light colour at the mo and the new colour will be darker which may hide some of the discolouration, also I will make sure it is washable.
I am in two minds about re papering etc but i'm fed up with DIY!!
As little as poss is my thing just now.
I have e-mailed Dulux, I await their reply and will let you know what they suggest.
In the meantime I will look into the surround thing I mentioned.
I'm sure there will be a nice chrome strip or something that would look good, its just finding it.

The paper was already up and I thought I would give it a try.

I had an inkling that was the case.

To be fair, there isn't much of a fire hazard and most manufacturers are probably only covering themselves against claims for any damage caused by the heat. As I said, there are a few that completely advise against the use of such papers (glad yours isn't one of them) so I always ask to check the clients manual before hanging any paper near their fire.

Hopefully, Dulux will give you some good news so that you don't need to hunt for a surround.

I also hope that your reply from Dulux is favourable yet I must admit I do have my reservations.

Dec

Guys, had the reply, not good but hey.
The paint is fire retardent but not heat resistent so I suppose it would be a waste paying extra for pyroshield.

Oh well, it's either paint it again and see if the darker colour hides it a bit longer, find a surround or..........nooooooo.......... strip the wall and re paper.
It will be a mood thing, I will think for a day or two. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back