Heat Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When installing Heat detectors, how do you test if it works ok with heat? Is there a machine to buy to test this? On installation sheet there's a box to tick to state its been tested.

Sponsored Links
I'd try holding a source of heat (lighter) somewhere underneath in one hand, and a thermometer right up close to the detector in the other hand for instrumentation purposes. I think they're supposed to go off when air temp at the unit is 57 degrees (if i remember correctly from the data sheet of the kidde one I've bought).

There may well be a proper way to do it though :).

Liam

Sponsored Links
Aico say that you should only test their smokes/heats by pressing the TEST button and not by using smoke/heat...

Doesn't a lighter leave soot on the detector head, and risk melting the plastic too?

A hair dryer or heat gun would seem more sensible to me.

@RF - I was thinking significantly below the detector so that warm air convects upwards until the detector is triggered, not trying to set it on fire! Still - hairdryer sounds like a better bet.

@BAS - I dunno, I propose a test procedure that representatively simulates the real operating conditions and is fully instrumented. I dare say with a little work, a BS for testing heat detectors could be written around my proposal. And all I get is mocked!! :rolleyes: :)

Liam

Oh, ok.

Have you tried it? Does it take a while?

Normal commercial detectors are rated at either 70ºC or 90ºC depending on where they are sited.

Also, some places use a rate of rise detector, which I don't think you would change the air temperature quick enough to trigger it.

Many detectors have a reed switch in them to enable testing with a magnet, but this obvioulsy does not prove that the thermistor part actually works.

I take my heat detectors to 'The RAJPUT' if they go off in there whilst I am having a Raj then they are working :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In all seriousness thou, I press the test button as per the instructions, holding a heat source upto it is more likely to cause damage I think

I think we might be talking at cross purposes here.

On domestic heat alarms, pressing the test button is fine.

I was referring to heat detector heads forming part of a commercial fire alarm system.

These do not have a test button.

Oh, ok.

Have you tried it? Does it take a while?

I too was thinking commercial ones where the element is exposed via the cage.

Never used domestic heat ones so do not know.

The ones I have done you need to get the tip within about 200mm of it and it usually alarms after 20 seconds any longer and the plastic case starts to soften.
It heats the element more than the surrounding air so you have to be carefull not too overdo it and damage it.

As you say a heat gun is better and the proper way really.

Dunno about heat, but if you want to test a smoke detector, this way is foolproof, and you can eat it.

Cast iron griddle pan (the ridged Le Creuset one is v.good)
Chilli-infused olive oil
Chicken breast

Pour some of the 2nd into the 1st, swirl around and/or spread with a brush.

Turn off any cooker extractor fans and heat the 1st until the 2nd is smoking.

Add the 3rd, sear on both sides for a couple of minutes, then reduce the heat and cook for 10-mins or so, depending on the thickness of the meat, turning once.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back