Heater and Thermostat wiring problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone, I wonder if someone would be able to help me with a wiring problem. I am fitting a tubular heater and am trying to wire in a thermostat so I can control the heat, its for an avery. Ok, the thermostat I have is a Horstmann Centaurstat 1 and the terminals are marked 1 2 3 and 4. Also, by the 1 there is a L symbol and by the 4 there is a N symbol. How do I connect this up please? I'm struggling with it so far. I have wired it in heat resistant flex, so just have 2 blue and 2 brown to connect. The earths I have joined together in a block. Thanks to anyone who can advise me on this. Excellent forum this, learnt so much from the posts! Ben

Sponsored Links
At this time of year ambient temperature may well be within the range that the thermostat switches. I've no idea if it's a mechanical one, but if it is, when you turn the knob you should hear it switching at some point.

If so, use your multimeter to determine which terminals are connected when it is on.

Thanks for your reply, b-a-s. It's a digital thermostat with the ability to have upto 5 different temperature ranges per day. I'll have to go back to it tomorrow and check everything with the meter. Ben

Another thing to check - is it designed to switch a load like an electric heater, or just the ignition circuit for a boiler?

Sponsored Links
it will be fine to run such a heater

just becasuse its a heater makes no difference regarding how it is connected electricaly,

supply to stat, stat to heater. all the stat does is to decide when to turn it on or off acording to ambient air temperature. imagine if you will a plug, lamp and switch instead of lamp you have heater, instead of switch you have thermostat

breezer - it wasn't the functionality of the 'stat that concerned me, it was whether the contacts were rated to cope with the load of the electric heater.

I have no experience of them - maybe they are all able to switch such loads, but if I were looking for a thermostat, that'd be one of the things I'd check....

Breezer, would you be able to help me with the connections please? I asked a sparky friend yesterday, he said SUPPLY L goes to terminal 1, LOAD L to teminal 3 and both N go to terminal 4, but it didn't work.

Like I said - check with your multimeter to see which terminals are connected to which when it is "on". Is is self-powered from the supply, or does it have batteries?

And how did you come to lose the instructions?

oh, I didnt lose the instructions, just can't seem to get it to work. It's a battery powered one. I'll check Monday, today is a day for doing nothing! thanks!

else where ben posted the fact the contacts are 8A (no worries then) as for which connections i havent a clue, as i am not familair with that stat, but if ben has a muti meter it will only take a couple of seconds to find out which is which

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back