heater matrix ford ka

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone give me a blow by blow account on how to replace the matrix on a ka it looks a little hidden, not sure what to take off and what to leave on and when fitted do i have to connect a hose up to it and pass water through the system to rid of air locks?? many thanks for all who replies, this realy couldnt come a better time of year could it?!

Sponsored Links
no hot air ! it might gather a little when idle then blow warmish air till it runs out then goes cold, ive tried a hose pipe and passed water through to make sure there is no air lock (changed antifreaze the other week) but still nothing im assuming the matrix is the bit with the 2 pipes coming from it out of the bulk head?

HI Fenderman

i read your post with interest have you fix :?: ed your problem .
my wifes KA is showing exactly the the same symtoms no heat. I replaced the thermostat recharged the system and nothing. Iwould be interested to hear more about the suspect heater valve , and is it a big job?

Thanks Tonycr

Sponsored Links
Hi Tonycr, all sorted plenty of heat now ,now she's complaining its to hot that's girls for ya, you said you replaced the thermst i replaced the heater vavle at the bulk head the bit before it goes/returns from the matrix its got 4 pipes from it ,after stripping a few bits of plastic out of the way its easy to get at and sort just be sure to pass water through the system to rid of air locks using hose pipe and hey presto hot air and almost happy wife! mail back if you any more help...jon

Thanks Jon

I will replace the valve as you said but i am not to sure on the hose pipe purging of the system perhaps you could help

Thanks once again

Tony

once fitted leave off one of the pipes from the engine side of the unit for ease and place end of hose over end of pipe and let water run through system(engine off) but not on full blast until you see water coming back through the unit probably with some brown gunge form the matrix then replace hose (and clamp) then run engine after checking water levels first go for short drive check for heat and check water again dont forget a/freaze, from start to finsh 1hr ish bit more with brews and that let me know how you get on if it doesnt work its poss matrix so im told good luck btw i paid £28 for part here @warrington

Hey guys, soz for bumping an old post, but it's related to what i need to know. Ive also just picked up a ka, 2001 1.3 and alas no hot air!
This morning (yes in the snow :( ) i went to replace the valve and noticed 2 pipes are missing o_O The two coming thru the bulkhead are there, but the 2 at the front end arent! I spoke to a mate who thinks they've done that coz there mite have been a leak on the matrix? And bascially jst connected up the two other pipes to eachother, I dont see how though, as surely the only thing they've bypassed is the valve itself? Or am i missing something?
Hope someone can help, btw im no where near a competent mechanic, i jst 'try' to do jobs myself if i think i can :)

tia,

the missing pipes are probably connected together or blanked off somewhere in the engine bay to maintain the coolant flow through the system

fenderman";p="773217 said:
can anyone give me a blow by blow account on how to replace the matrix on a ka it looks a little hidden, not sure what to take off and what to leave on and when fitted do i have to connect a hose up to it and pass water through the system to rid of air locks?? many thanks for all who replies, this realy couldnt come a better time of year could it?![/quote

I wish to ask if the heater Valve is where the pipes go into first !! before the matrix ?

are you sure its the matrix thats gone? heater valve faults are quite common on these,what are the symptoms?

Can you tell me if the water pipes go into the Heat Valve first then the Matrix ?and is it a big job to change the Heat Valve / Matrix
Thank you

i cant remember the pipe arrangement sorry, if you google for ka heater valve in images you should get a picture of it.
The valve is accessable in the engine bay and is the cause of 99% of non working hater problems, a matrix very rarely goes bad uness its blocked or rusted out.

Sponsored Links
Back