Heating costs, Gas or Electric?

An electric heater runs current through a thin wire and makes heat. There are no losses.
there are enormous losses, but because they mostly occur outside your home you might be tricked into not seeing them.

If there weren't, then electriciy would be cheaper than gas, since it is largely generated from gas which the generators buy cheaper than you do.

Sponsored Links
One 'Which best buy' ( chosen at random ) electric kettle, is only 80% efficient in raising temp. of 1 litre through 85°C.
approx 1,000 grams = 1 L water.
3kW heating element
1000 x 85 x 4.18 = approx. 355,300 Joules required to raise temp. at 100% efficiency.

1 Joule/sec = 1 Watt

355300 ÷ 3000 = approx. 118 secs = 1.96 mins

Actual time to reach 100°C ('Which' timed) = 2.45 mins

1.96 ÷ 2.45 = 0.8 or 80% efficient in supplying required heat to water
---------------------------------
Several people nearby have replaced their old gas boilers with condensing types, only one displays a very noticeable 'plume' the others have very tiny if any plume... Is this an indication of incorrect settings? Or nothing of note?
:confused:

That's because some of the heat is lost in warming the mass of the element and the body of the kettle, then there are radiant and convection losses to the surroundings. If it were a space heater all the heat would be useful.

An electric heater runs current through a thin wire and makes heat. There are no losses.
there are enormous losses, but because they mostly occur outside your home you might be tricked into not seeing them.

If there weren't, then electriciy would be cheaper than gas, since it is largely generated from gas which the generators buy cheaper than you do.
I am aware there are enourmous losses in the electricity distribution network, but I was talking in terms of the energy we pay for that enters our home - we pay for gas to power our vastly inefficient boilers, but most of the elecrticity we pay for through the meter is used efficiently, with respect to space heating applications.

Sponsored Links
Several people nearby have replaced their old gas boilers with condensing types, only one displays a very noticeable 'plume' the others have very tiny if any plume... Is this an indication of incorrect settings? Or nothing of note?

they modulate down to a simmer

I was talking in terms of the energy we pay for that enters our home
hee hee! you pay for the wastage and losses in the Electricity Supply system, believe me!

I have been told that a boiler loses around 10/15% of the heat it produces whereas electricity loses nothing, is that correct?
No it is absolutely wrong, and a lie spread to trick the unwary!

Where does your electricvity come from? A generator turned by a steam engine run from a big boiler. the big boiler loses heat and so does its big chimney. The distribution cables lose heat. the transformers lose heat. There is also a loss in energy between that put into the generator and that extracted as electricity.

On London streets on a frosty morning you can see the grey tarmac where the underground cables are doing their job of keping the rats warm.

Once it come isto your house, the heat that is generated inside heating appliances does not go to waste, but the heat generated by the lamps, TV etc is all wasted unless the house is cold.

i think the relivent part off the transmision line is from the meter to the equipment

losses before the meter are somone elses problem :D :D ;)

and short off super cooling the the transmision lines you will always get transmision losses :D

Back