HEATING DOES NOT WORK UNLESS HOT WATER IS ON ALSO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The issue is straight forward, the heating will not work unless the hot water is on also.

The conventional boiler heating/water system is all new within the last 12 months. The plumber that installed the system states that it is normal operation, and that you have to have the hot water on to get heating. To me this does not seem right however, especially with the current cold weather in the UK, when the heating cannot realistically be tuned off. The result is the water is continuously on which cannot be efficient!

Is this really normal operation?

The hot water however can be set independently from the heating i.e. in summer when the heating is not required, it is possible to just get hot water, which is good.

Background info.:

Boiler: Worcester Bosch Greenstar 40CDi (new)
Timer: Honeywell (new) - old fashioned but does have separate controls for heating and water.

Any pointers gratefully received! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You are completely right.

get him back and ask him to sort it.

Maybe as simple as changing the set up of the clock or maybe some wiring changes.

Sounds like you may have a problem with the hot-water cylinder, get him back and and ask him to sort ASAP. The weather is getting colder so he should make a point of sorting it for you. Good luck!

Had the same problem at my mother's flat. Could be the control valve to the CH circuit is not switching on the pump/boiler when fully open.

Try moving the little manual lever on the valve motorhead if it has one. This maybe located by the HW cylinder. The lever is spring loaded shut but can be latched in the open position.

May need a new motorhead. (note: not usually the whole valve just the motorhead)

Sponsored Links
The plumber that installed the system states that it is normal operation, and that you have to have the hot water on to get heating.

That is a lie.
Installer either doesn't have a clue, or tries to pull a fast one. Unless you have a very large house (20 big radiators) I'd say he is clueless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back