Heating Help Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice Required as just had engineer round to fit new rad.

He has recommended that system be power flushed.Had to fit new pipe to one rad and replace another (due to blockages) and on testing system has found rad that was fitted only 2 years ago has started to leak badly centre top and possible bottom (column type with twin tubes).

He believes that this is caused by corrosion in system as system has been installed with HEP20 pipe.

He is recommending system powerflushing and magniflow fitting.

Advice appreciated as rad that has failed was not cheap as designer type :cry: .

Boiler is Halstead Ace High not sure of age as was in house when we bought.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't necessarily need powerflushing.A chemical only clean and a magnaclean might be adequate. Can't see how the Hep pipe is solely to blame.hepworth recommend the barrier pipe for central heating.If it's non barrier pipe it will have allowed some air into the system but i can't see that this alone would have rotted through a radiator in 2 years. The system was probably not cleaned properly when the boiler was installed-this seems more likely.

I've been using Hep2o for years and not had that much trouble, but i have heard various stories re excessive corrosion. Its nothing to do with the boiler, so I would use x800 for cleaning the system and a full mains flush. I also use magnacleans on all new installs but that only stops the sludge getting back to the boiler, its no help in stopping the formation in the first place

Sponsored Links
This has got me thinking as I did a boiler change recently where the circs to the cylinder had been run in 15mm grey Hep,so obviously not been in for donkey's years and the last couple of feet up to the cylinder were blocked up quite severely, so much so that the boiler was shutting down. So maybe there is a greater risk of plastic pipe blocking up with sludge.

Thanks guys for your posts appreciate comments.Looking like going for powerflush and magna clean.

"The system was probably not cleaned properly when the boiler was installed-this seems more likely." Think this sums it up as majority of work done on house has been done easiest / cheapest way by previous occupants.

Just a bit ###### about the radiator - I think looking again (now that I have calmed down a bit) that it has actually failed (under pressure) rather than corroded due to faulty manufactue (?) as it has failed right in the middle at the top.Going to speak with supplier but not holding my breath.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back