heating is set low but rads very hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton lynx 2 boiler and although the heating is set for really low the radiators are very hot. Can anyone help?

Nick

Sponsored Links
Lets start with the simple things.
Do the radiators have TVR valves fitted?
Are the rads permanently hot when the heating is on?
Are the rads hot when the heating is OFF but the hot water is ON?

Do you know what type of zoning layout is used (2 or 3 port valves) and can you check the thermostat is operating OK?

The rads are not hot when the heating is off. they have normal valves that you cant regulate. there is no roon thermostat.

no room stat? then you have an uncontrolled system. It is bound to get hot, unless you keep jumping up to turn it on and off like an electric fire.

Does it at least have a timer?

Sponsored Links
Yes the boiler has a timer and there is a heating control on the boiler.
We just turn it up and down.
I meant we dont have a stat on any of the room walls

a room stat would save you a lot of money on wasted energy, and enable you to keep the house more comfortable.

are you in receipt of benefits, or a pensioner? you might be able to get assistance fitting one.

or it is not a very difficult DIY job if you can safely do home wiring

an ordinary room stat can cost less than £10

you can even get a wireless one but they are a lot more expensive.

I would have thought a heating engineer would charge you an hour or two's labour to fit one.

are you in receipt of benefits, or a pensioner? you might be able to get assistance fitting one.

i believe the benefits issue is linked to having young children

Also income support, disability etc. Try Warmfront or your local council.
As a roomstat (& TRVs) will save energy they will probably be keen to help you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back