Heating OK, no water downstairs, only cold upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just trying to isolate a problem. The shower and upstairs hot water taps do not work at all but the cold tap does.

Downstairs there is no water running whatsoever.

The heating is working fine.

It's a combi boiler and there are no lights flashing (though the hot water light is off and remains so when I open the taps).

The system pressure is, however, a little low - I have no filling key at the moment to refill it so could this be the problem? Or is it more likely a frozen pipe/boiler problem?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
your cold pipe has prob frozen, my car was reading - 8.5oC this morning..!!

where does the mains come in, could it of frozen in the loft space, or in a cupboard somewhere?

Not rightly sure where they come in, only moved in a few months ago and unlike most well-organised people, I never think to check until I have an emergency!

Actually, could it be the outside tap has frozen the pipes leading into the kitchen?

It was covered but have just checked and the cover has come off and the tap inlet completely blocked with ice.

Should I go at the outside tap with a hairdryer or the inside/kitchen ones first?

Sponsored Links
leave the cold tap open and get the heat on the inside pipes first, as you say the cold could of backed up from out side.

as your upstairs is fine, i would guess that your cold feed comes in somewhere else.

Cold upstairs could be from header tank, downstairs likely to be rising mains which has frozen. Try the heating the pipes trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back