Heating on but not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I have a issue where all my radiators do get hot but its still cold, mainly upstairs.

downstairs seems to be heating up ok. but upstairs its always cold even with radiator on.

One issue i can be thinking is, the windows are not fully secure they are some leak so can hear noise, cold coming through so that can be cooling down the house but could that be enough to not warm up upstairs?

Even if radiator goes to 22 degrees its not as warm as it should be upstairs.

Also i have single heaters downstairs thn double, so not sure if that can be part of issue. I have gone through whole house and taken air out few times in case that could be issue.

But noticed theres always some air everytime i run that process.

any ideas?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Check/top up the Inhibiter in the system. Check to see the that TRVs ( If fitted ) are set correct. Check/top up the roof insulation. Fit double glazing. Drain system, remove each rad and flush out. These are some of the diy actions that can be undertaken.
Pete

If the radiators are getting hot as they should, then it would appear that the mechanics of the system are working, so either the radiators are too small for the property, there is a significant escape of heat, or the central heating is not being left on long enough to warm the fabric of the building.

First of all you need to check there is sufficient insulation and find any drafts. I wouldn't worry about the noise you can hear. Sounds can come through a tiny gap, but can you feel air blowing in when it's windy?

The sizing of the radiators can be checked by a professional system designer or by using an on line calculator.

How do you operate the system? When the heating is only on for an hour or two in the morning and the same in the evening, the house structure never gets properly warmed, so it will absorb the heat quickly when the heating does comes on. This can be a particular problem in older properties with solid external walls. If this is true in your case, consider leaving the heating on all day, but dropping the thermostat 2 or 3 degrees when you are out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back