Heating Problem please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone -

I'm new to this site. I was having problems with my heating, hot water is fine and hot water and central heating is fine but I can't have the heating on without the hot water. My plumber came and changed my Mid position actuator as he originally said that was the problem but that has not solved the problem. Water heats up as it should, but when you switch the heating without the water boiler fires up few seconds laters switches off so I have to still have the water on to have the rads on. He said the problem is my time clock but he cant fix that because he is not an electrician! could this really be the problem or could he just not be bothered to look further into it?!

Please help

Sponsored Links
so it fires up for a few minutes on c/h only? does the valve switch over when you turn the stat up?

nath

He said the problem is my time clock but he cant fix that because he is not an electrician! could this really be the problem or could he just not be bothered to look further into it?!

well he's not an electrician.
and he isn't a plumber for sure. can't diagnose a faulty valve and a programmer.

so not sure what he is.

yeah it fires up on c/h for a few seconds then the boiler thinks its reached it temperature and switches off. I have seen the valve move but dont think it moves when the c/h is switched on

Sponsored Links
it must be moving or you wouldn't get ch/hw together.

what is the valve make/model ?
have you a multi meter ?

its a drayton mid position actuator and the time clock is also a drayton - I'm pretty sure its not the valve as he replaced that so surely it must be an electrical problem?! now that nothing is on the black moving thing is pushed up to the top, when both heating and water are on it goes to the middle but not sure if it does anything when only c/h is selected

look on the side of your valve.
you will see this indicator with W M H on.

put heating on only what is it pointing to ?

moto_0026.jpg

that cable has five wires in it. one is grey.

in your wiring centre box where all the cables meet you need to check the grey is connected.

or on the otherside of that valve is a black button push it in and the actuator will lift off the brass valve.
does it move over to H or stay on M ?

you've either got a jammed paddle
or a fault on the hw off/satisfied. grey wire.

ok that sounds quite technical, I have seen the black thing move to the H position but dont know when it does it or why? I've put the heating and water on and its on the M position, when the Hot water is on it stays on the W I'm guessing then it should be an electrician that I call and not a plumber

elecys are hopeless at heating system controls.
heating engineer is the best bet.

not a plumber who fixes taps.

if you can use a multi meter you can do it.

what did he change complete valve or just the top actuator ?

theirs two ways to get the live to the grey
what have you got the programmer on now hw off ?

I dont even know what a mutli meter is! :) so when should it move to the H position? is it as obvious as h for heating?

funny enough not sure, the whole thing is the same one that was there originally so must have been something inside the actuator perhaps? God I bet I sound really thick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back