Heating system heating Hot water system too

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm a newbie here, and can handle many DIY situations.
We have just moved into somewhere new and I'm having trouble understanding the central heating system. It's a Halstead 'hero' boiler in an open vented system incorporating a 3 way valve which may be the cause of my problems. The house was built in 1985.
We have only been here 4 weeks but the central heating seems to have been working ok.
Yesterday the radiators started getting very hot when only the water heating system was operating. I turned down the room thermostat to no effect and today they seem to be, if anything getting warmer than when we could control them independently.
At the moment we are just turning the boiler on to get sufficiently hot water before melting in the heat!
I have turned down the boiler heating control which does seem to have cooled the radiators off somewhat.
But I have a complete loss of control between the 2 systems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve
57 hrs old, have built an extension and completed many low level DIY projects.

Sponsored Links
1) reverse circulation sounds about right, so if the 3 way is faulty, it would let this happen? I'm pointing out that it may be 25 yrs old and appeared to be working ok 4 weeks ago.
2) correct, the rads get hot when only the HW is turned on, the valve is a honeywell.

I might be sounding like a complete Idiot here by not mentioning it before - i can't possibly see a connection, and I fail to understand how ........but a few weeks ago my wife ran a bath whilst I showered (it's a power shower) and all the water; hot and cold ran dry! After 5 mins it came back, but why /how could that happen? I only tried the upstairs water at the time and not downstairs, which presumably would be coming from the mains supply - obviously the cold anyway.

Have I got big problems here?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the basics when the system is fully cold switch hw on only check if all 3 pipes on the valve get hot.

We got up this morning and only switched on the hot water and the rads are just as hot as if the ch had been switched on as well

Does sound like a stuck 3way valve. If its not shutting off to CH when HW demand is present then rads will heat up as well. This will continue until HW is satisfied, and then because flow is shared between CH and HW, HW will take longer to reach temp and switch boiler off. Meanwhile, you cook.... :D

Water running out is not connected. (Well, shouldn't be!) Power showers do use a lot of water! Both shower and bath (hot water as well as cold) are fed from cold storage cistern in the loft, running a bath at the same time as the shower and you'll empty the cistern in minutes!

Supply will restore after a few minutes as the cistern (tank) refills from the mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back