Heating system pump just pumping continuously

Yes turning the boiler off by its internal on/ off switch is the ONLY way to stop the pumping cycle.
Not motorised valve then?

Sponsored Links
If it was the motorised valve sending voltage to the boiler ,the boiler would fire up as well as the pump.

If it was the motorised valve sending voltage to the boiler ,the boiler would fire up as well as the pump.
But with the Programmer completely Off. ie no ignition of any description requested. I wouldn't expect any gas firing, and there isn't any.
A defective Motorised valve can still incorrectly initiate the pump perhaps?
In the airing cupboard I can see there is a black wire connecting the two?

This problem is something I have come across before, but I'm not sure of the details. What I remember is...

Something about the pump drawing too much current at startup, and welding the pump contacts in the boiler. The pump manufacturer supplied a fix for it.

OP - what pump make and model is it? Try this and see if it provides a temporary fix, for one cycle of the boiler, at a time...

Turn the boiler off, give the boiler case a bit of a thump, with the flat of your hand. That may/should release the welded contacts. Turn the boiler back on, and then check if the pump also runs.

[EDIT] I've just remembered a little more - it's the back EMF from the pump at switch of, which welds the contacts up.

Do a search on your pump make/model plus back EMF.

Sponsored Links
This problem is something I have come across before, but I'm not sure of the details. What I remember is...

Something about the pump drawing too much current at startup, and welding the pump contacts in the boiler. The pump manufacturer supplied a fix for it.

OP - what pump make and model is it? Try this and see if it provides a temporary fix, for one cycle of the boiler, at a time...

Turn the boiler off, give the boiler case a bit of a thump, with the flat of your hand. That may/should release the welded contacts. Turn the boiler back on, and then check if the pump also runs.

[EDIT] I've just remembered a little more - it's the back EMF from the pump at switch of, which welds the contacts up.

Do a search on your pump make/model plus back EMF.
Pump is a black Grundfos of some description, I can check which model exactly and get back to you.
What does EMF mean?

Usually electromotive force, in essence voltage.

Correct! As the pump is switched off, it generates a pulse of high voltage, enough to arc across the contacts and cause them to weld together. A pair of back to back diodes, can be used, to discharge that back EMF, and protect the contacts from welding up.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back