pump continues to run!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
strange one this.
I have a fully pumped system with two motorised valves, one for ch and one for hw...
Timer reaches set "off" time, hot water valve closes(i can hear and see it move) but pump continues to run. only way to stop it is to first manually turn the central heating on on the timer, then turn hot water off, then turn central heating off!! thought during cold weather it was the a frost stat in the boiler keeping the primary circuit flowing but it still does it now we have warmer weather!!
Timer problem or aux switch on the hw motorised valve??

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it? The is a classic circuit board failure on a baxi solo.

The wiring may be wrong, I'd suspect a valve brown and grey connected together in the wiring centre.

Sponsored Links
You need to start by isolating the power to system, then turn HW and CH on and off, one at a time, noting what moves/heats up/makes a noise etc.
Then do them together and observe some more - post obs and we'll try to help.

Press HW on timer, motororsed valve opens pump starts, boiler starts= all ok
Press HW button again to turn off, motorised valve shuts but pump remains running and goes onto recirc via the PRV bypass. Boiler cuts in occasionally as water temp in primary circuit drops

Press CH button, motorised valve opens, pump starts and boiler starts
Press CH button again to turn off, motorised valve shuts pump stops boiler stops

Only way to Stop the pump when running for HW only (as i now am) is the following:
Press HW on button on timer
Press CH on
Press HW again to turn off
Press CH again to turn off and pump stops!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back