Boiler and Pump don't switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my timer/progrmmer switches the hot water and the heating off I can hear the motorised valves shutting but the pump and the boiler continue. This is a recent fault. Grateful for any ideas. Thanks. Doug

Sponsored Links
Danfoss HPA2. There are 2. I can hear a whirring noise from each when I switvch the hotwater and heating on/off at the programmer/timer switch. Doug

Undo 2 screws on each corner of the heating/hot water valve, pull off head if the actuator then fully closes, its the valve.

Spray some dw40 on the half moon shaped spindle, give it several turns 180 degrees make sure its free and loose. Refit head and test. These valves tend to leak and get very stiff from rust.

Could be a faulty microswitch stuck on. Then that will require a new actuator.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Done that. Both valves seem to be free and operating ok, I've given them a dose of WD40 too. So it must be the micro switch? Any tips on how I tell which actuator needs replacing? The HW one looks newer so I guess I could just try changing the heating one? Doug

Isolate power positively. Take grey or arange wire that will be linked in junction box to the other. Keep one in. Turn power on. If boiler and pump fire, trace that wire to what actuator. If stays off, then same trace it back and change it.

50/50. Normally i'd be suspecting the CH valve this time of year after being off but you never know. Good luck.

Thank you very much indeed for your help. I fitted a new motorised valve tonight and normality has been restored. You have been extremely helpful.

The microswitch always fails in danfosss valves. They are rubbish and don't last much longer than a few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back