Heating woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently returned from holiday and we are getting a problem with our central heating.
Whilst away the heating was left running but on a reduced heat and no hot water setting.
The rad's upstairs get hot and a couple downsatirs get warm. If I turn all of the upstairs rad's off I can get each of the downstairs ones to warm up (one at a time)
Seems to me it might be the pump. I have reomved the front screw on the pump to see if there was a large flat head screw (as mentioned in other posts) to turn to check if it's jammed. No large screw in there.

The Boler is a Vaillant and the label says : VU 142/1 E, 182/1 E, 242/1 E, 282/1 E

The inside looks just like the phot in this post
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102331

Is there a way to check the pump is spinning? or how do I remove and clean it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Put your finger on the plastic part of the pump.
Pump should be on setting 3

I can feel some flow vibration when touching the plastic part of the pump

Any other ideas?

Could be a number of things e.g. pump on the way out, blockage, poor balancing, faulty bypass; probably a combination.

Sponsored Links
Ok, Thanks.

Lived here a while now and the heating never gave any problems. The balance seemed good as all rad's were getting hot. Blockage is likely I guess.

Thanks for trying to help.

How do I remove the pump head so that I inspect and clean it?

I know about the four screws on the flange, just not sure where and how to isolate the pump.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back