Heatline Combi 'howls' when hot water used

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Heatline boiler, it's brand new, only been installed a couple of weeks and I did it myself. I'm not a heating engineer but I am a plumber.

The central heating side of the boiler is fine, works a treat.

However, when I use the hot water I get a cycling howling sound coming from the boiler itself. The pipes from that are vibrating to the touch.

If I turn the heat down for the hot water, it stops. So it only happens on high heat.

Again, the HEATING is fine! it's just the hot water that comes from the tap and shower.

No pipes are touching one another and all valves are open fully.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Mines does similar but only because the Cold Inlet Valve isn't fully open

As so often seems to happen you have forgotten to tell us which Heatline model you have fitted.

How did you commission it?

As a matter of interest how did you deal with Building Regulations certification if you fitted the boiler yourself?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
As so often seems to happen you have forgotten to tell us which Heatline model you have fitted.
Heatline ® ?

Heatline C28 Condensing combination boiler.

Regards commissioning, a Corgi registered friend of mine installed the gas; of which I'm guessing you are referring.

Back to the problem.
When it was first commissioned, the heating system was all filled, pressurised and checked, boiler bled, condensate trap filled to required limit and so on. Fired her up, all worked and is still working a treat.

Hot water was tested a while after and worked also, then from nowhere when the hot tap was used a howling sound could be heard. Worse if a thermostatic mixer shower was used.
Checked the boiler whilst this was happening and without doubt it was coming from it as no pipes were knocking or moving due to being well clipped.
Along with the haunting howling sound the domestic hot water pipe was pulsing but the water appeared visually steady.
The sound could be stopped by turning down the heat which is what baffles me.

It did this for the first and second day then stopped completely by itself.

Week or so later, it has done it again..

Any help without appearing condescending would be appreciated.

All technical help here is given free by a dedicated team of experts ( and a few others ) and may sometimes be seen as condescending to you!

The heatline C28 is the cheaper hybrid condensing boiler based on the tried and tested non condensing model with the addition of a recouperator. They are very stable and in my view likely to be very reliable in spite of what someone at Heatline says!

I can only assume that your hot water noise is caused be an unfortunate arrangement of pipework feeding the boiler. This may be exercerbated by having an unusually high mains water supply pressure. Do you know what your pressure is?

Can you try turning on the cold kitchen tap WHILE its making this noise? That will reduce the mains supply pressure and I would like to know what effect that has on the noise.

Tony Glazier

The howling noise you describe is one of two things.

1. If you haven't flushed the system then there is sludge/debris in primary heat exchanger which in turn is making the noise when max gas pressure is used (hot water). Also if cheap inhibitors are use and overdosed then they can foam up in heat exchanger and will cause same problem.

If so powerflush system and use sentinel x400 and also check max and min gas rate as this is very important (c24 is 2.0 and 12.7) (c28 is 3.5 and 11.7)

2. Sometimes the diverter valve spindle is prone to vibrating and causing a high pitched howle.

If so unclip the diverter valve motor then undo black plastic nut with the spindle showing through (don't forget to isolate flow,return and cold first!) and put a 2.5mm o ring stright on to the spindle and then re-asemble.

Hope that will help

im senior enginer with heatline
your problem is due to hydro water flow switch try putting 2 pieces of plactic pipes in the cold and hot feed pipes to cure noise . also make sure your not putting more than 9 lts a min through the boiler

your problem is due to hydro water flow switch try putting 2 pieces of plactic pipes in the cold and hot feed pipes to cure noise . also make sure your not putting more than 9 lts a min through the boiler

So a flow regulator of the cold feed. What are cold and hot feed pipes?

You may be a senior engineer with Heatline but that does not seem to have prevented you from replying to a posting over a year old!

How can you justify your Company replacing a blocked plate under the warranty when thats solely as a result of a muppet installer, rarely CORGI registered, who could notbe bothered to clean the system as required under BS 5437 ???

Surely thats just subsidised by proper CORGI installers who always power flush the system ???

Tony

You may be a senior engineer with Heatline but that does not seem to have prevented you from replying to a posting over a year old!

How can you justify your Company replacing a blocked plate under the warranty when thats solely as a result of a muppet installer, rarely CORGI registered, who could notbe bothered to clean the system as required under BS 5437 ???

Makers of small tubed boilers should put provision to prevent debris and sludge blocking the heat exchanger. Alpha put on a cyclone filter. They can all put one of these on preferably one being a combination of filter and a magnaclean.

The makers are negligent.

Makers of small tubed boilers should put provision to prevent debris and sludge blocking the heat exchanger. Alpha put on a cyclone filter. They can all put one of these on preferably one being a combination of filter and a magnaclean.
That's an intelligent comment.

The makers are negligent.
...but it just had to be accompanied by the stupid, incorrect, and argumentative one.

there is a filter built in to the return group of heatlines to take out large bits like balls of solder.

what are you on ! im only trying to help
and your point is ? we change heat exchangers free on first visit aqnd ref back to installer to wash system that nothing to do with us . other boiler mans just walk away

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back