Heavy speakers and stands on bedroom chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have been busy converting a bedroom into a small recording studio.

As part of the design I've been thinking about using hollow concrete blocks for speaker stands. With the weight of the speakers themselves added to the blocks, they will probably come in at around 100kg per unit.

Quite near the speakers there are other heavy items too...... quite a lot of vinyl, studio equipment rack, etc.

I'm wondering whether I should be worried about everything falling through to the room below!!!! The flooring is chipboard, with an underlay and carpet.

If you need more specific details about the items and the layout etc, then please let me know.

Huge thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Could you upgrade the carpet quality to add some structural strength?

Probably be ok as long as you keep the heavy things close to the walls.

The plaster will start falling off in the room below from deflection long before the floor collapses.

Sponsored Links
Think about it!!! 2 large people on a bed, the bed has 6 small casters with a surface area of probably less than 100mm square. overall approx weight 200kg. = 33kg per caster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back