Hedera helix ivy requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm planning to grow some ivy up the wall of our house. It's almost always in the shade and could benefit from a bit of greenery (yes i've weighed up the pros and cons!) - the question is, what soil requirements does it have?

At the moment a path runs along the bottom of the wall with about 2 inches of gravel between the slabs and the wall. I'm planning to attach two fan shaped trellises to the wall to start it off but how much and what type of soil do I need to replace the gravel for to get the ivy to grow?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I had this on the front of my house, north facing, it will grow in anything, i eased a slab away from the house, 1/2 inch and stuck it in, no probs with the growth. As the plant grows it will reach for the sky so you may end up with gaps between the fans. Better with lot's of small cuttings spread out., but it will get into your loft if you don't trim it, i ripped mine down last year and the walls don't look too good with bit's of root all over it, could do with a jetwash now :rolleyes: Wouldn't do it again.

I'm not sure I'd put ivy on the house walls either, I've got it on fences and in pots, but not on the house. It's not necessarily because I'm worried about damage, but worry it might get out of control and block gutters and the like eventually. According to my plant book, hops grow well in shade. Mine is in a sunny spot and I often think it would like a little less sun in the summer. And chance you could place a pot or planter on the path? I think they are beautiful plants, but they die down in winter, so not overly invasive, and shoot up again in spring. There are also some clematis that grow well in shade, but they would need a planter too I think.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back