Height of Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit new sockets to my extension and have been told that new reg's have come into force with regard to the minimum height of sockets from the floor and work tops in the kitchen. Does anyone know if this is so?

Sponsored Links
It's a recommendation ...not a requirement, it's recommended that the minimum height to the bottom of a socket is 450mm and 1200mm for light switches (+ sockets, TV sockets, Telephone outlets -- to accommodate disabled people)

KItchen sockets above worktops... you are limited to where you can put these anyway, normally centred between the w/top and wall unit.

Guide to regs:-

"Where a socket is mounted on a vertical wall, its height above the floor level or the working surface level level must be such that mechanical damage is unlikely. A minimum mounting height of 150 mm (above the floor / or worktop) is recommended."

See this for sockets, but bear in mind it is not a requirement for extensions to dwellings, just a good idea if it is convenient.

There are no regulations about worktop heights in kitchens in dwellings.

Sponsored Links
So the height of the door handle can go as low as 450mm, that'll be handy when you're drunk Scoby eh ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
odpm_breg_025494-33.jpg

GwaiLo said:
...There are no regulations about worktop heights in kitchens in dwellings.

Saved by the Great GwaiLo again!

martinatkinsoncox - shame on you for writing "the minimum height of sockets from the floor and work tops in the kitchen". I think you deliberately tried to make us think that you meant the minimum height of sockets from the floor and sockets from worktops, by starting your question "I am about to fit new sockets to my extension".

You may have fooled all of us, but you must know that the Great Gwailo is not so easily misled.

ban all sheds.

I have clearly ****ed you off and it seems your intention now is to look for real or percieved errors in any post of mine you see.

My reply answered the chaps question, whichever way you chose to interpret it, and I am here to offer any help I can.

Yours appears to be to attempt to score points and pretend you are superior and you are really getting to be a bore.

In future you can expcet but one response fro me. Douchebag!

masona said:
So the height of the door handle can go as low as 450mm, that'll be handy when you're drunk Scoby eh ? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
odpm_breg_025494-33.jpg
Could just manage that, but need a funnel (tundish) to get key in door !!

UVSLSX.jpg

So how high from the floor would you say that was.......skirting trunking lovely stuff.....looks great in the living room :confused:

Awaiting a negative reply

Any chance of B-A-S and Gwailo kissing and making up ? :LOL:

il78 - that stuff is over £15/m - anybody rich enough to run that around their living room can afford to pay somebody else to look at it for them.

XP - it's OK, I've had my fun now. I did start out really hacked off at GwaiLo's persistent refusal to see where he'd gone wrong with the thread about Scottish regulations, particularly when he tried to claim that he couldn't possibly have realised I was addressing alexnic because my post followed his, when in fact it followed alexnics, but by the end I realised that it wasn't personal - he misreads, or re-interprets everybody's posts, and replies to questions or comments that he thinks they've made, rather than what they have actually written. I was actually sitting here laughing as I did the last few responses.

ban-all-sheds said:
I was actually sitting here laughing as I did the last few responses.

I didn't think it was in you ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back