Help!! Aging a new staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old house and have had to have a new staircase put in - all is great apart from it looks too new!!

Would like to keep it "wooden" not painted so was wondering about staining or how to distress it.

Any suggestions on making it appear older that wont take too much time and make too much mess??

Thanks if you can help :p

Sponsored Links
What type of wood are the stairs.........?

You can easily make new stairs look old by dirtying the parts that would wear over time, the newell, the hand rail and some spindles where children have had their grubby hands over years. You would then lightly stain over , thereby leaving the dirty marks darker than the rest.

To create a look of wear and tear you then scrape off the stain at viable points (where damage would have naturally occurred) and then varnish.

Distresssssssssssssed Man......!

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

You can 'make antiques' if you hit it with a chain, I new a person who aged new furniture, to pass it off as old. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Gcol

The poster asked how to age new stairs, invariably people do this as the item in question looks like a sore thumb....!

Now, in another forum you came in straight behind me when I complained that IMO painted lining paper invariably looks rubbish. :rolleyes:

IMO hanging lining paper and painting it is also a form of distressing as its a cheap and nasty old fashioned effort that should be chucked in the dustbin and more thought and wonga put into the project. :idea:

Distress When Distressings Due.....! :LOL:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

heeellloo carterpowell and welcome

ok my thruppence worth :D

i would,nt do anything!!!!
its very very hard to "age " things quickly

now stairs arnt the ideal thing to practice on

if you dont like the results its rather too expensive to throw it away and buy a new one

and the alternative off stripping back and starting again is extremly labour intensive and boring :cry: :cry: :cry: ;)

why not try de stressing a cheap pine bedside table and see if you actualy like the look first!!!!! ;)

I don't think you need to go as far as beating you're staircase with a chain :eek: , I don't think you would want or even have you're friends know you have a mistreated staircase .try some sample pots of stain on the underside of it until you find a colour that suits you best :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back