Help - Bathroom light linked to extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a brainwave, thinking it would be easy to change the light fitting in our bathroom......How wrong can you be.

Now I have taken the old one down, can not fix the new one or remember how to put back the old one :oops:

The old one was/is linked to an extractor fan. I now have 4 black wires and 1 blue wire and not sure what to do with them....I really don't want to have to call out an electrician over the bank holiday. What is the best short term solution to make the bathroom safe (even if dark!)

Sponsored Links
if those are the onlu 5 wires just stick them in the terminals of a 6 terminal junction box to make them safe

if those are the only wires your lighting seems rather dodgy and needs to be checked by an electrician

plug

Don't understand what you're saying.

It is possible that the other cores have been tucked up in the loft - ie live loop and earth have been terminated and pushed into loft, and only switched live and neutral remain in the room.

The blacks could comprise neutrals and a switched live that is unmarked, and the blue could be the neutral feed to the fan.
The switched feed for fan could be tapped off elsewhere.

To id the switch wire, you need access to all the conductors that meet at the light fitting. You need to power down, seperate all conductors and sort them into their respective groups, attach connectors onto the end of each conductor then with a multimeter you can id each cable. (DON'T FORGET TO MARK EACH CABLE WITH A PIECE OF COLOURED TAPE OR SIMILAR AND MAKE A NOTE OF HOW THE REMAINING CONDUCTORS ARE CONNECTED AT PRESENT) The switch wire is the one which when you connect a MM set to continuity across the switchwires, it will beep with the switch "on" and stop with the switch "off".

If you are not confident using a MM, you should not be touching your electrical installation. As plug says, get a spark in!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back