HELP ... boiler stopped working ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new here and was hoping for some help on a problem I have. Last night, my Glow-worm E40 boiler that is now 17 years old stopped working. It has been working fine for the last 10 years I have had it but our hot water stopped feeling so hot a couple of days ago so I thought I would check it out.

The pilot light was still alight but when turning our thermostat up to put the radiators on, there was no surge or (whooosh) in the boiler as it usually does.

So not knowing anything about these things, I read the instructions inside the tray on the bottom of the boiler and proceeded to turn it off and re-light it (after 3 minutes). I hold the gas button in and ignite the pilot but when I let go of the button (after 20 seconds and even tried holding in for 4 minutes) - the flame goes out.

I have read on hear that it could be a thermocouple? I guess I'm asking advice on what I should do, bearing in mind it is 17 years old currently. Should I replace it, call some-one out? How much would this sort of repair cost and who should I use? I have heard so many horror stories of people being ripped off. If I was to replace the boiler, any recommendations on what a good boiler is these days?

Anyone looking for a job to fix this in the Poole/Bournemouth area?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Kevindgas who posts on here will be able to sort it out for you.

You should get it fixed for the moment and Kevin will give you an idea of the price for a replacement during the summer.

A nice new condensing boiler will save about 35% of your gas bill.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back