Help choosing Cordless drill ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im looking to buy a cordless drill for £50 for xmas present for my father who will use it for general diy stuff, nothing to heavy looking at these 2 :

Bosch Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver PSR14.4Li 14.4V £49.99 from BQ

or

Black and Decker 14.4v VPX Lithium Ion at £49.99 from Argos

Any ideas which one to get or any better products for same price?

cheers
sie

Sponsored Links
Thev Bosch is the best you'll get for £50, if you can stretch a bit more to a model with 2 batteries then all the better. £65 will get you the 18v bosch with 2 batts from argos.
Bear in mind that a drill/driver without hammer action such as these will be no good for drilling walls for putting up shelves, mirrors etc. If he has a hammer action mains drill already then not really an issue.

*edit* I notice that Argos have an 18v Worx cordless hammer drill w/2 batts for £59.99

afraid you need a hammer drill if you wish to drill holes in walls this will add about £30 to your budget

if its for diy may i suggest you look at ryobi as you can get 30 tools to fit the same batteries

i know its way above what you want to spend but for £100 you can get a hammerdrill a jigsaw 2 1.7ah batteries a nice canvas carry bag and charger

What about some of these Dewalt drills that are on ebay, seem to be around £30 bare ??? are these fakes or just naff i know the batterys push the price up but are they wroth it ?

Sponsored Links
power bought from ebay may be american and therefore you will have no warranty.i only found this out when mine developed a fault.luckily mine was an EU one.

A bare drill doesn't make for a nice gift to unwrap does it? Plus once you factor in the cost of the batteries, charger, plus case and any other extras you might get in a retail package, it's just not worth it, unless you need to replace a knackered one.

Technology in order of preference, NiCd, NiMh, Lithium being best. For DIY use though it shouldn't make any difference what you pick.

For a DIY drill the worx jobbie on Argos will do the job, comes with 2 batts, case and accesories. Plus it's down to £60 from £90.

NICE !!!!! waited another day after BQ staff told me that they are running an offer from today, just got a Black and Decker 18v Cordless with 2 batterys and hammer action for half price at £49.99 instead of £100 !!! well pleased.

I was going to say the 18V DeWalt that screwfix have on offer for £99.99 with 2x1.3ah batterys and a carry case.
Had a look at one in the trade counter and its not as well made as my XRP but for general DIY/light trade it suspect it would be ideal.
A few years back i paid £100 for an 18volt B&D firestorm drill and i only got the 1 battery pack.

Am going through the same thought process but to replace my B&D which is nearly six years old and the Ni-cad battery has finally expired.

Tend not to use the hammer drill much as it is nowhere hear as good as a corded and does not compare with sds.

Also tend not to use it much but when I do tweo batteries are useful. The drill before the current B&D was a B%%D wioth two batteries (no hammer) and I miss the two batteries.

Am down to

Bosch PSR 14.4 with 2 batteries - B&Q reduced to 59.99, top speed low and feels very light.

Hitachi DS12DFV3JR - 89.99 with two batteries, much higher speeds, two gears and feels much stronger.

Makita twin set of 8280 hammer drill and 6280 drill driver - not just two batteries but two drills for 99.98. Have a Makita planer inherited from FIL and it is great, and about 25 years old.

There is a similar Ryobi set for about £80.

Am tempted by the Hitachi, wary of the Makitaand Ryobi because the package implies cheap and nasty - £40-50 for each.

The big question - are the Makita tools likely to last as long as the planer I have, I know batteries will go but if I get the 5 years I got out of the current B&D I will be happy.

You have probably made your mind up by now but here is my thoughts anyway.

I have the £99.99 Dewalt (from B&Q with anxtra 15% off!) very good solid bit of kit for DIY. Hammer goes through brick and block no problem( but not like my SDS). Bargain at the price

I also have the £99.98 Makita twin pack, drill/driver lighter and easier for driving, the combi is a bit more light weight than the DeWalt, not so good through brick but t is a 14.4V rather than 18V. Also a bargain at the price though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back