Ryobi versus bosch cordless drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am looking for my xmas present. Want a cordless drill for outdoors work mostly. Does anyone know if a Ryobi 18v combi drill cid 1802 is likely to be better than a bosch 14.4v GSR 14.4-2 driver drill? Main difference being combi obviously drills into masonary (not essential for me). Both come with 2 1.5Ah Ni-CD batteries. Only want to spend about £50. Would be grateful for any thoughts on how the makes compare! The Bosch is £90 reduced to £55 the Ryobi is £60 to £50.

Sponsored Links
are you shure the ryobi isnt naked!!!! at £50 with batts and charger will be a great deal

B&Q got a special on, 25% off power tools (Ryobi, Bosch, B&D)?

Nope, just checked screwfix, it's not got hammer and has a 3hr charger. I'd get the Bosch tbh.

As bigall has stated check that the Ryobi isn't part of thier "one plus" range where you buy the batteries and charger seperately and then add whatever tools you wish as they all run of the same power source. The low price may be due to the 25% off deal running at B&Q at the moment.

Given the choice between the ywo I would go Ryobi.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your feedback am leaning towards the Ryobi although I am a bit new to cordless drills so just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. It does come with two batteries and am presuming charger. I didn't realise it didn't have hammer but from what i've read this would probably drain battery quickly (so would use my Bosch corded drill for walls at home) and by the look of it cost a lot more than £50 - is that right? Am thinking I just get a little bit more for my money with this Ryobi (although I'm not sure what a combi drill is) so long as it's not a crap make!

if its definatly the new cmi its a bargain
if its the older one with the spirit level on top its still a bargain
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Cordless Combi 18v Ryobi&product=28202

the hammer action saves power as it does the job quicker then you turn the hammer off untill required

if your ryobi drill has a silver metal ring behind the chuck its a hammer /percusion drill for hard stuff like masonary

all these tools [and more ]fit the batteries solving your birthday and xmas problems for years to come :D :D
http://www.ryobitools.co.uk/oneplus/index.htm

i rate ryobi at diy light to medium trade
they are well made have a good reputation a 18v ryobi will do 80percent of a 18v bosch or dewalt for around 40percent off the normal price

in this case because your comparing a 18v to a14,4 the 18 volt wins

I have just looked at Ryobi products in B&Q and as far as I can see they are supplying all 18v products without batteries and charger. (Doesn't mean no-one else hasn't got them.) If you are getting an 18v for 50/60 quid with batteries and charger that is a good deal but the 3 hr charge time would put me off. What is the charge time on the Bosch.

If you are not going to use a hammer function then pointless getting a drill with one but instead go for a drill driver which would be more suited to your needs. ITS have a promotion on this 3 battery 14.4 v makita (30min charger)with some freebies included, more than your budget but a lot more for your money.

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_MAK6280DWPE3_6280DWPE3_Makita144vCordlessDrillDriver.htm

This is the one I think he meant.

(and the Bosch )

As it's not gonna be used for masonry I'd prefer a lighter 14v model, will be powerful enough for drilling and driving in timber and thin metal. Plus it's a 1 hr charger and the Bosch blue come with a 3yr warranty.

If you are planning on getting more tools then yeh, go for Ryobi but not that one. Get the 18v combi kit, about £75 in B&Q currently and comes with 2 batts, one+ charger and hammer action all in.

yes you definatly need hammer action

a drill driver puts in screws and drills holes in wood and metal and not much else great for building things and assembly!!!

if you want to hang shelves radiators cupboards curtain rails up you need hammer action to drill into brick concrete or other hard materials

yes you definatly need hammer action

a drill driver puts in screws and drills holes in wood and metal and not much else great for building things and assembly!!!

if you want to hang shelves radiators cupboards curtain rails up you need hammer action to drill into brick concrete or other hard materials

He's already got a corded drill. That probably has hammer already.

I have just looked at Ryobi products in B&Q and as far as I can see they are supplying all 18v products without batteries and charger. (Doesn't mean no-one else hasn't got them.) If you are getting an 18v for 50/60 quid with batteries and charger that is a good deal but the 3 hr charge time would put me off. What is the charge time on the Bosch.

If you are not going to use a hammer function then pointless getting a drill with one but instead go for a drill driver which would be more suited to your needs. ITS have a promotion on this 3 battery 14.4 v makita (30min charger)with some freebies included, more than your budget but a lot more for your money.

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_MAK6280DWPE3_6280DWPE3_Makita144vCordlessDrillDriver.htm[/QUOTE]

Update.... B&Q have the 18v Ryobi hammer drill for about £100 less 25% comes complete with 2 bats and charger, in my local store this product is located on a pronotional end away from all the other power tools so you might have to hunt it out. (this is why i didn't see it first time :rolleyes: )

Funny you should say that have just seen and reserved the very same!! Just trying to find out now if it's compatable with their one plus range!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back