Help! Chopping a roll of kraft paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody advise the best way to make clean cuts through a roll of kraft paper please? I've read maybe a chop saw or mitre saw with fine-toothed/smooth 10/12" blade. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Is this to trim say, a six foot roll to become a five footer?

I would guess that wrapping it tight with paper and tape followed by a chop saw would work

if its on a cardboard tube make sure its rolled tight then roll a bit off glossy paper over the cut area with a second bit on the hold side of the bed if required [to hold 100% level and fully supported]and cut holding firmly as you would with a bit off timber

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What do you want to achieve?
I want to cut a long roll into a number of much smaller rolls (around 1.5” wide). So my best description would be cutting a roll up like you would a caterpillar cake!

I've successfully cut paper rolls with a fine tooth blade on a band saw.
Given the 1.5" width of cut, you may struggle with a chop saw - but given it's only paper rolls, just have a go and see what happens?
Floor lining paper rolls are cheap to experiment with, if you don't want to risk ruining an expensive paper.

I've successfully cut paper rolls with a fine tooth blade on a band saw.
Given the 1.5" width of cut, you may struggle with a chop saw - but given it's only paper rolls, just have a go and see what happens?
Floor lining paper rolls are cheap to experiment with, if you don't want to risk ruining an expensive paper.

That’s good to hear, thank you. Did you get perfectly smooth edges on the paper with the band saw?

That’s good to hear, thank you. Did you get perfectly smooth edges on the paper with the band saw?
It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough for our purposes.
As has been said above, wrap the roll up tightly, support it well, and give it a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back