Help!! Clogged up shower drain/waste pipes....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couple of years ago we had a double shower tray and screen fitted - very nice is is too, so we're pleased.

The one main bug bear is that the waste keeps getting blocked up and if we're not careful, will rapidly start filling the tray and potentially overflowing into the bathroom.

I think the pipework has less fallaway that it needs, due to lack of space below...

Without ripping the whole thing out and starting again, can anyone recommend a decent product to clear the residue and scum from the plastic waste pipework around and beyond the U-bend?

Have tried vinegar and bicarb - reasonably effective but needs 24 hours to really work. Also tried a product from Robert Dyas that was £6 and totally useless...

Any advice gratefully received as always.

MM

Sponsored Links
I have personally found that drain cleaning chemicals are equal to throwing good money down the drain! :LOL:

You could try "One Shot" for about £12 but you will probably have to dismantle traps and waste pipes etc and readjust the fall to ensure the problem is solved for good. :D

Hmm, OneShot - I've read about that somewhere else on the forum this morning... Will it cause damage to plastic waste pipes?

Sponsored Links
Right-ho, I shall acquire some OneShot tomorrow. I shall go in manfully, armed with said solution and maybe a plunger for later adjustments! :LOL:

Well done on the smoking - I stopped cigs in '92. Feel better for it, too. Still fancy one sometimes, even after nearly 20 years!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have found caustic soda crystals very good.

Just tip a few teaspoons worth down at the end of the day and leave.

Seems to work over a few days.

Repeat as necessary and quite cheap.

Hi John, it's just hair, soap scum/ shower gel etc - all that good stuff that we humans seem to shed when we shower!

The shower's only a couple of years old - we renovated this place in 2009 - so there is a hair trap that we clean on a regular basis, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the pipework below the tray has insufficient fall-away...

Add to that the fact that we have a returnee to the home in the shape of youngest son, and there's a more regular need to try to solve this issue!

When it's clear it's great, but it recently seems to have got worse.

I will have a go with the plunger, and follow up with a chemical clean. I was just concerned about potential damage using an acid-based cleaner...

Thanks for the tip, though.
MM

I have found caustic soda crystals very good.

Just tip a few teaspoons worth down at the end of the day and leave.

Seems to work over a few days.

Repeat as necessary and quite cheap.

Nice. I like the idea of keeping the cost down! Thanks!!

DON'T use one shot, go to wickes and buy a wet vac and suck out the blockage from the trap. I do this every day, its quick and chemical
free.

Andy

Andy, thanks for your post - I don't have a wet vac, but I can see where you're coming from...

I have, however, resolved the issue; not by sucking, but by blowing!

A trip to one of my favourite shops, Robert Dyas, saw me emerge with a pump-type plunger - £9.99 and a complete godsend!
Filled a bucket with water and blasted the waste pipe numerous times with the pump until said bucket was empty.

Result: the drain is now free flowing and drains like it should.

So thanks to all for advice - much appreciated!!

Are you using double base gel? I have found this clogs my shower tray. The paraffin wax separates and clogs the outlet.

One of my customers got a pump to blow out his shower pipes and blew off the pipes which were
Push fits didn't find out for two weeks eeekkkk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back