Help - Convert Bedroom Cupboard to Shower Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im sorry if ive posted this in the wrong place. I couldnt decide where as it covers a bit of everything :)

In my bedroom I have a Walk In Cupboard. My idea is to convert this into a Shower Room. At first I thought a Shower Cubicle, but it does not seem like there would be enough Room to get in and out of the Cubicle & back into the Bedroom

Someone gave me the Idea of possibly converting the Cupboard into a Wet Room Shower Room.

I had a quick look under the carpet in there and Im not sure if you could put the Shower Base below the Floor level, so it would probably need to be raised.

I have no idea about implications of Electrics, Plumbling, let alone what kind of Electric Shower or what I even need to consider to see if its a plausable idea, never mind how much it would cost. Or even in what order things would need to be done.

Can anyone give me some help, I wont be doing it myself but would like some clear ideas and what can be done before I contact someone to do it for me or purchase some things.

A friend did her bathroom recently, she had plastic waterproof panels fixed to her falls instead of Tiling. So Im not sure if I would have the Entire Room with these or have it all Tiled.

Ive looked on the internet for ideas and examples of converted rooms into shower rooms but they dont seem to be as small my Cupboard

Hope someone can help

Lee

Sponsored Links
What are the dimensions of the cupboard

What is the floor made of

Are the joists parallel with the run the waste pipe would travel on its way to the handiest soil pipe of hopper

Where would you expect to run the hot and cold pipes

Are you thinking of an electric shower or a mixer?

How is your hot water provided?

Where would the water come from

Is it on an external wall? If not how far away is the nearest such wall that you can cut a hole in for the extractor duct

You will have to be very careful to avoid damp.

Thanks for responding

A while ago i made a little Map

http://img239.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cupboardka3yv1.jpg

Hope it understandable.

Im not 100% of what the Floor is made up of in there, i think it might be floorboards, will need to check that out

"Are the joists parallel with the run the waste pipe would travel on its way to the handiest soil pipe of hopper "
sorry i dont know what that means.

A waste pipe will probs be best to go out of X1-wall as that side of the house also has the Waste from the Bathroom which is towards the back of the house but on the same side :confused:

"Where would you expect to run the hot and cold pipes"
I thought that the Shower would be fixed to Wall 3, in my mind, but i guess Wall2 would be ok.

I was thinking of an electric Shower, so that i dont have to heat water in advance and can use the shower anytime.

Hot water provided at present - The water tank is in the Loft, i think someone told me that the Water is heating up behind the Gas Fire, because you hear the Firing noise when it clicks on and off

Where would the water come from - from the Tank in the loft?

Depending on where the SHower if fixed would determine where extractor would be put. I thought Wall 2

Hope this helps :confused:

If you have an Electric shower you will need mains-pressure water. There will be a cold water main supplying the cold tank in the loft. You will need to measure the flow to see if it is adequate. Do you have a hot water cylinder? That would give you plenty of hot water but the pressure might be poor if the tank is only a few feet above the shower.

An electric shower will also need a new, dedicated electric circuit which you will have to have installed by a qualified electrician. How old is the house and the electrical installation? What brand and colour is your consumer unit (fusebox)? Does it have fuses or MCBs?

You will need a powerful extractor, otherwise you will get damp, mould and mildew. The extractor can easily be put on the external wall. You can hire a core drill to make the hole. You will need a waterproof light as well.

You might consider a rectangular shower tray as the gap between wall X2 and the tray will be wasted. Also consider a larger door so you can walk direct from the room into the shower without squeezing round corners. You might even tank and tile the entire cupboard and turn it into a wet room and not have an enclosure inside it (I don't know much about them). If done badly it will leak.

Do you think you have the skills and experience to do it yourself?

Sponsored Links
My house is about 70years old.

I did think that making the room into a wetroom best, rather than putting a Shower Tray or Cubicle in. someone said changing the door way would be a bad move as would alter the structure of the house? :confused:
could you wetroom it with waterproof plastc panelling?

The tank in the loft would be only a few feet height wise about the shower. how do u know if pressure would be adequate?

I wouldnt be doing this myself. At work have friend electrician, 'mates rates' and also a plumber there who id get to do that work.

Its just i have little knowledge of what would be involved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back