Help fitting a 1-gang,2-way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to understand something - this is my first post here:

I had a builder who refurbished a flat and when he left, he left a light switch in the hallway connected so that is always on - he basically connected the cables and tape them.

Now, I would like to fit a light switch I bought and which has L on top and L1 and L2 at the bottom. There are 2 cables getting in: a twin and earth from probably the mains (brown and blue) + another twin and earth going to the light probably (again brown and blue)

How do I connect the cables in the light switch to make them work. I tried a couple of combinations but I either tripped the MCB or didn't work at all (no light in the hallway).

I don't know what switch was before, it was old but was working.

Any idea would be very much welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The title and the word 'hall' suggests 2 way switching. Does another switch control the light as well?

You did use L and L1?

How are were the wires actually connected when the temporary joint was done?

Sponsored Links
No other switch controls the light,it is a small hall in a flat.
Yes i did try exactly L1 and L2.
The builder connected brown with brown and blue with blue and it stays on the light.
Thanks

No other switch controls the light,it is a small hall in a flat.
Yes i did try exactly L1 and L2.
The builder connected brown with brown and blue with blue and it stays on the light.
Thanks

L and L1.

You said the markings were L, L1 and L2.

You need L and L1.

Sometimes the markings are Com, L1 and L2.
You would use Com and L1.

If you then wired it with the two blues joined in a connector block, and the browns to L & L1, and it doesn't work, then either the switch is broken or there's something wrong with your workmanship.

b-a-s thank you !

It was actually a faulty switch, replaced it with another one from the house and it just worked, couldn't believe it, brand new from the box and faulty! It was a Volex and I thought it is a good brand.

So it wasn't my workmanship... :rolleyes:

I tried a couple of combinations but I either tripped the MCB

The combination that tripped the MCB may have been live and neutral being shorted by the switch. That would take out the MCB and also damage the switch.

But glad to know you have it sorted and the lights work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back