Help for basement bathroom: inherent blockage/drainage issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have just bought a basement flat and have now discovered there is an inherent problem with the waste flow from the bathroom that has meant we have had two blockages in a month.

We have had dyno rod and another independent over and they have said this (along with a lot of negative comments about what an odd/ bodged system it is):

As it is a basement flat, the waste flow pipe is virtually on the level with the outside drain and there is not enough gradient for waste to flow, the camera showing that there is always standing water collecting in the waste pipe. This means blockages are going to occur easily and frequently.
His temporary fixes include getting a much larger capacity cistern, using cheap toilet paper (breaks down easily), cleaning the pipes (they are covered in lime scale and "cement" that has accumulated over time), relaying the pipes/ lining them and basically not flushing any toilet paper or solids. However, he has classed these all as temporary and won't fix the problem completely.

I asked about installing a sani flo and that won't work as there is no drop off into the waste flow.

With all the basement flats out there, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for possible options that may be out there to help. Possibly of the suction/ blowing variety. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Saniflo will pump upwards 4 metres so whoever told you that was wrong! However they are a nightmare, will jam and/or block easily leaving you with no working toilet! (Golden rule is nothing to go through the Saniflo that hasnt been through you!)

Cant see how you can live without a toilet that will 'take' solids! Only permanent fix is to relay the pipes (If this is necessary!) to the correct 1:40 fall.

However, he has classed these all as temporary and won't fix the problem completely.
Being honest.

Might be a bit extreme, but could you raise the floor levels internally, to get the fall on the pipe runs. It would bring the ceiling closer to your head, you would need to cut the bottom off your doors but you would have less skirting to gloss!

Have you been back to your surveyor, or solicitor? Did the seller not complete a decleration that all is well, and had no knowledge of existing problems?

Same level as the invert? What will happen if the drains block and flood?

If you could live with an old fashioned cistern @ high level with a 6foot long flushpipe , the extra velocity will help . you`ll need a 2gallon one , not the fancy repro ones that are restricted to 6 litres . Another temporary way would be to change the syphon in your existing cistern to a flap valve , that`ll improve the velocity

Sponsored Links
All you need is to raise the toilet about 150mm and relay the pipes in most cases.

Did you have a survey???

Raise the pan on a plinth. So long as you have no midg ... err short people visiting you that could provide a solution.

cheers for all the responses, this website is great.

In no particular order:

We got athe middle costing survey done but not a separate drain one (I spoke to everyone I know who has bought a house and none of them had so assumed it wasn't needed, lesson learnt).

We are talking to our solicitor at the moment, just getting all the facts, options, costs etc sorted before pursuing the sellers (if this is an option).

With regards to raising the floor/ relaying the pipes. The pipes run from the toilet, under the bathroom and under our bedroom. The floor is solid concrete so no easy access. If I ripped up the floor in the bathroom, raised the pipe but left the pipe under the bedroom at its current level, would the extra gradient from the toilet help or would you have to do the whole pipe/ would I need to just raise the floor in the bathroom or the bedroom as well?

With regards to relaying the pipe with the right drop off, no major survey work has been done yet but so far the plumbers aren't to sure about that as there isn't any more depth the pipes can be dug to (as they are virtually on the same level as the drain outside).

Same level as the invert? What will happen if the drains block and flood?

I am not exactly sure what you mean, but there there is a one way trap which I have been told should stop water/ rats etc coming into the flats pipes from outside. This is cast iron and the plumber said he things it should be replaced with a plastic one.

I forgot to add (not that it is important, but just adds to the problem), when he looked at the pipes he said that it (rather odly) turns from a cast iron, to clay then plastic (over the course of about 10 m from our bathroom to the outside drain). There was a 4 inch plastic pipe entering the plastic pipe that he couldn't determine why, and there was a longitudinal crack along the top of the main plastic pipe.

Cast/clay/plastic :eek: it`ll all have to come out across the 2 rooms :cry: and a plastic anti flood valve , as you`ve been advised

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back