Help!!!!!!!!!!! How do I determine the Best Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3 Quotes and they are so different in content and cost, how do I know which one I should opt for, I don't undertand the terminology so feel baffled with science............. The roof appears flat but it is actually a gully, old copper is still present, continuous problems, water outlet pipe on our side of the building, all three state this will increased to 75mm, one states Code 5 with 2 T-pren expansion joints, seal junction with neighbour using flashband and elastogum, no guaranteed because there will be a joint, other states strip out and overlay timbers with one layer geotech underlay felt and mark outline of new bays with timber straps, dress code 5 cut out raggle above up stand and supply and fit new lead apron touched and secured in to raggle ( what is raggle?) Other states uplift existing copper gutter and alter gutter base to form stem for lead cutter, install 2 code 7 lead panels to gutter, DPC to wall head and rebed, Can anyone tell me what is the best option to go with, I want to be problem free...............Urgent replies appreciated

Sponsored Links
what exactly have you got and what exactly are you after being done? As it is ast the moment we cant apply the descriptions quoted to the situation your trying to get sorted.

The problem is a breakdown in the gully copper resulting in water penetration.

Some quotes will be brief in their description, personally I stay clear of these as it doesn't really pin the contractor down as to what he is responsible for doing, unless there is a contract. Other quotes can be full of technical mumbo jumbo, but these are sometimes used to inflate the price as joe public can't make sense of it.

Do some research and see what is invloved in the job and also look up the technical terms, so that you are familiar with them, you then have a better idea as to what it is they are doing.

Get references for previous work and talk to the people who have had work done. Don't really solely on written references. Any decent contractor will be more than happy to let you contact previous customers. Beware of the ones that don't.

Don't just base your choice on price, you need to take into account a bit of everything. Also look into company history, a company that is long established is more likely to be there in years to come rather than a company in its embryo stages. Useful if there are any guarantees.

Sponsored Links
Find someone who is literate for a start :LOL: . Were 2 of the quotes from Roy. And Pete....Diddikai Roy, and ***** Pete :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back