Help, Idiot's Guide to Building a Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was looking for some advise please.
I am looking to build my own shed rather than buy an off the shelf one.

I will be putting down a concrete base to place it on and raising this off the ground about 6 inches ( i think this will be hight enought to stop water getting in fronm the ground, correct me if i'm wrong)

When biulding the frame for the shet should i build it about an inch bigger than the base ? also what would you recomend for the outside wall material, you will not be able to see it when its finishe on the front wall, so what is a the cheapest zero / low maintanance option for the 3 hidden walls ??

Looking to build this about 18 x 12 ft..

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I can give you some observations from my experience with a shed base, maybe someone else can advise you on the construction of the shed.

I have two sheds, bought from a local company. One sits on paving slabs, the other on a concrete base, both are about 12 years old. The supports under the one on paving slabs are fine, but some on the concrete base started to rot, so I had to lift the shed slightly and slide under some pressure treated timbers.

A little investigation revealed that rain ran down the shed sides, dripped onto the concrete base, ran underneath the shed and formed puddles that the shed sat in. Because the other base is made from slabs, the water doesn't puddle and runs off and away down the cracks inbetween them.

If I was going to use concrete again, I would slope the edges down slightly so that water ran away from the shed instead of under it, or lift the base off the concrete slightly by sitting it on roof tiles or similar.

One other tip. Make the shed as big as you possibly can and then a bit bigger ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back