Help me choose an alarm system!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys ive been researching alarm systems for a little while and ive found lots of information, but I need a little help deciding which one to go for!
I'm after a wireless system so I dont have any unsightly wires. Yes I know the advantages and disadvantages so please dont try to change my mind.

I thought I had settled on the Texecom Ricochet system but it's going to be a pain in the arse installing the keypad as I really dont want to go chasing wires into the wall. It would mean making a massive mess, replastering, wallpapering, and then painting. 2 or 3 walls. Not ideal.

I love the look of the Texecom which is why I chose it, but due to not having a wireless keypad it's now off the list.
I dont want a Visonic Powermax kit as they look ugly as sin!

My requirements are:
- Fully wireless including bellbox
- Ability to use prox tags
- I will need 5 pir sensors and 3 door contacts
- Must look aesthetically pleasing

Options that would be nice but not necessary:
- Class 2 system
- Wireless smoke detectors
- Ability to turn on a floodlight or two
- A system that will text me should the alarm go off
- Connect to a pir and bellbox in my garage which is up to 40m away.
- Can be connected to a cctv system

Ok so what would you guys advise?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Move house! I think your asking too much without a bit of give and take . Texecom no wireless bell, try pyronix enforcer it covers your first requirements

Move house! I think your asking too much without a bit of give and take . Texecom no wireless bell, try pyronix enforcer it covers your first requirements

Edit

........ your asking too much without any give and take .

Sponsored Links
Well that's a given isnt it?

Im sure whatever you lot recommend will be good.

Galaxy:

1. G2-12 panel
2. RF Portal + 2 RF rolling code fobs (two portals if you live in a mansion)
3. Wired Keypad in the cupboard beside the panel, as you don't need it for set/unset.
4. Two way wireless sensors (dual tec wireless for the garage).
5. Low cost IP module for SIA based self monitoring (SMS+Voice+Email) / remote keypad control
6. Wired bellbox - Against your req's of wireless, but you can't have everything...

With 8 wireless PIR/Door sensors, you're probably looking in the region of £550 for the above.

I'm assuming that by connected to CCTV and lights, you just mean switched outputs. There are additional trigger based outputs on the G2. Stepping up to the G2-20 or G2-44 would allow output expansion via RIO's.

If you want a remote bellbox in the garage, this would need to be achieved by an alternative radio based remote control device.

castle enforcer does everything you've asked for if you can supply 12v from the loft you can have a fully illuminated bell bow as well great panel easy to program although the fobs are a bit tricky as you have to program each button individually

Texecom are due to release a wireless bell soon apparently.

If you don't like the look of the kit don't have it as it will niggle at you every day you see it.

But it does mean somewhere along the lines you will have to compromise.

I avoid completely wireless unless the customer insists, think hybrid gives more flexibility and security.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I have the exact same question for very similar requirements.

OP, if you're still following this, what did you go for in the end?

My front-runner at the moment is the Pyronix Enforcer with GSM Kit. The Texecom and Visonic look great, but are about twice the price for the components I want:

2 x Pet Friendly PIR
3 x Door contact
External siren
Panel with prox. sensors
Remote fobs
GSM/GPRS Communications

Texecom Premier Elite Richochet 24-W + Sensors and siren = £611
Visonic PowerMax Pro + sensors and siren = £682
Pyronix Wireless GSM Kit + sensors = £376

I like that the Pyronix has a good choice of sensors and plenty of channels. If the cats don't trigger the PIRs I'll add more to expand the system.

I'm a computer systems engineer and fairly competent DIYer. I'm familiar with alarm systems but haven't actually installed one. I'm thinking (hoping) that installing a system like one of these is not beyond me.

Cheers.

Well I cant vouch for the Pyronix BUT as I'm fitting one later this week I'll be able to compare with the powermax complete which is an alarm Ive fitted over 200 units and they are bullet proof,

Never had a single faulty Visonic component in 7years!!!!!

The Yale smart alarm is a great piece of kit BUT it is a little limited with sensors availible...would have no hesitatation in also recommending this!

I do like the idea of supporting Pyronix which is a UK company...

Will update later on

Thx
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back