Help moving to Windows 7 programs not running.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some programs seem to move across without a problem but others fail and I wonder if down to 64 bit or simply a corrupted installation disk.

DreamWeaver CS3 can't get to install so installed Kompozer instead.
Family Tree Maker 2006 failed with a report wrong version.
WS_FTP95 works with one website and fails with two others.

I remember something similar when I moved to Win95 from Win3.11 and there was a program called DOSBox 0.74 which allowed me to run many of the old programs. DOSBox still works with Windows 7 and I can still play the original version of Settlers.

So is there something similar to run 32 bit programs with Windows 7? Had I never used DreamWeaver CS3 it would be great but trying to use Kompozer instead is like starting from scratch.

As to WS_FTP95 I copied complete folder from one PC to the other. First web provider I tried it asked for permission and worked great. Second and third it started OK but as it got to LIST it stopped. Normally it says "150 Connecting to port 52698" after that but just seems to stall on LIST now. That's well past the password point and seems strange.

I still have a Vista PC so not too much of a problem but time to sort is now not after I lose the XP and Vista PC's.

Well Kompozer it would seem is useless. Tried using it and then spent ages trying to find the error.
It changed
document.getElementById('textshown').innerHTML = page[count];//page select
}
to
document.getElementById('textshown').innerHTML = page[count];//page select}
Took me quite a time to see what it had done. Lucky simple page had it done that with a big page then it would have been really hard to find such an error.

Basic using note pad is better than Kompozer.

Sponsored Links
16-bit programs (which were originally written for Windows 3.1 or Windows 95) will NOT run on 64-bit Windows. I have not yet found a 32-bit program that will not run on 64-bit Win7. Note that some may need to be run in Compatibility Mode. Also, some apps may need Control User Access to be disabled.

HTH

Sponsored Links
Back