Help need again with sub floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having successfully laid a floor in the lounge with great help from here. I have now had to tackle the diningroom.
Having removed the old flooring I need to sort out the old bitumen covered screed.
Advice please on how to stabilize the old bitumen before I latex to create surface for new solid pre finished oak floor.

Thanks

Cider View media item 24099

Sponsored Links
Remove it, there is no stabaliser !!

Scrape up as much as possible, prime with neoprene primer, lay latex.

Correct. There is no stabiliser. Do not expect latex screed to bond to the subfloor if there is any trace of old adhesive. I would scarify this until it is gone. The strength of the oak when it moves in expansion and contraction will pull up the screed and you will have floor boards stuck to screed stuck to membrane and not to floor. Very dodgy. Or use an engineered floor and float it

Thanks both, the floor seems to be painted with a thin layer of bitumen of which most has been removed unless you really dig in a sharp scraper and a thin layer will come up and quite honestly cant face spending hours scraping 1/2 mm of what ever it is off the floor. I have bought cementone cempolatex which instructs to add sbr to the mix if laying over bitumen :?: .
The old floor was latexed in places some of which had blown but other places needed a kango to remove it.
I could glue 3mm ply down but the floor is quite uneven so would still have to latex in places.
Changing to engineered floor is not an option as I have already completed one room and have a boat load left for this room.
Are either of you familiar with the cempolatex?
Also plan to use Bona adhesive again but used the slightly cheeper non flex type last time which ocasionaly makes a cracking sound when you stand in a few places so this time shall def pay the extra and go flexi.
Is there a glue you would recommend ?

Thanks again

Cider ;)

Sponsored Links
Never heard nof it but get it in writing that it will bond to bitumen adhesive cos if it fails you got a major problem. Gluing down ply is not an option as the glue will frail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back