Help need on really old heating system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Baxi bermuda 551 back boiler, which works ok, except it is not heating up one of the radiators in the rear of the house, I have checked all the outlet and inlet values are on, and even changed the ones on the radiator draining the whole system. I did manage to get heat to it when using the drainage value under the radiator to drain the system but when i put it all back together again the water in this rad did not heat up while the others are roasting, the water from the drainage was fairly clear considering the age and type of boiler. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
thanks can cross out all of these though 8 ) RADIATOR PROBLEMS

There are a few causes for the radiators not to get hot.

1) Pump not working or needs bleeding. pump is fine and atm running on max

2) Insufficient or no water to pump round system. Check boiler pressure if it's a sealed system - should be 1 bar, plus say a third of a bar for every floor more than 3 that there is above the position of the pressure gauge.
For a vented system check the F & E tank has water. vented system tank has water although needs new cover have now discovered thanks :D
3) Air lock in heating pipe work (not radiators). Turn off all the other rads to force the flow into the cold one. Dont think there is air in the pipe work as none of the pipes are rattling and when I took the rad inlet and outlet pipes off water was coming from both even though system was drained (could be my stop cock isnt stop all water.)

4) Air in radiator, which should be removed by bleeding via the bleed screw. This will normally be on one end of the rad, but sometimes they're on the back, covered (or not) with a plastic dome.
Rads all bled fine when recirculating the water.

5) Radiator valve not open or TRV stuck. See post 1
Rad valves all open and heating up on all pipes except the ones on the back room rad.

6) Zone valve or 3 port valve not opening allowing flow to radiators on Y plan or S plan systems. See post 3 no idea about this so could be...

7) System needs balancing which is here maybe

8 ) Sludge in radiator or pipe work or valve causing blockage which will need to be flushed out.
Was only a small amount of black deposits in the drainage of the rad when drain and the water was dripping from pipes when the rad was taken off.[/b]

3) Air lock in heating pipe work (not radiators). Turn off all the other rads to force the flow into the cold one. Dont think there is air in the pipe work as none of the pipes are rattling and when I took the rad inlet and outlet pipes off water was coming from both even though system was drained (could be my stop cock isnt stop all water.)

have you tried this,would suspect this is the most likely and certainly easiest check/cure for your sort of problem. dont be fooled by the water coming from pipes

Sponsored Links

have you tried this,would suspect this is the most likely and certainly easiest check/cure for your sort of problem. dont be fooled by the water coming from pipes

I have managed to turn off 3 of the 7 rads rest are all stuck on, i'll keep trying to turn the rest off.

take plastic caps off and use a small spanner on the spindles, if they have screws put screws back in to prevent spindle becoming misshapen

take plastic caps off and use a small spanner on the spindles, if they have screws put screws back in to prevent spindle becoming misshapen

got most of them done now, 2 upstairs are solid thou cant move the spindles its a very old system with orignal pipes im guessing over years of copper oxide around the pipe spindles.

IF "ALL OTHER RADS ARE ROASTING" THEN BALANCING WOULD SEEM
A GOOD IDEA AS WELL AS TRYING 3)

all shut off now still no joy with back room rad, all pipes to it are cold. heating has now been on full for 4 hours.

all shut off now still no joy with back room rad, all pipes to it are cold. heating has now been on full for 4 hours.

Is it actually connected up? :LOL:

Get the boards up and follow the offending pipes back and see where they start to go cold. :D

im guessing there connected they go into the ceiling then under the bathroom floor, cant get to them in there as the floor is tiled. Still no joy today, have added cleaning agent to the header tank. says wait 21 days i'm doubtful to the results of this thou. Also after turning all the values on and off, half of them are now leaking. At what point should I give up?

You can re-pack the gland on the valves by wrapping a couple of turns of ptfe around the spindle and pushing it in tight.

The rads,

Have they filled with water. :eek:

Bleed then with one valve turned off, then swop them over, e.g. close the open one and open the closed one.

Check around for a 2 port zone valve, and or switch. maybe in the roof space

Close the two valves and take rad off.

Get bucket and open each valve in turn and let about 7 litres of water flow out of each valve.

If that works fine then take rad outside and connect hose to one end and run mains water through rad.

Note if black water comes out anywhere.

Reconnect and see if it then works.

If not then call a plumber.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back