no hot water, help !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed the thermostatic valve on a radiator in my bathroom and since then i have had no hot water. I have a primatic hot water tank in the attic and it just refuses to heat up. I have a back boiler which ignites but i do not get any flames, and it switches off after 10 or seconds, but when the central heating is on the radiators work better then they ever have done before, the ignition lights up on the back boiler and i get the flames. I drained the system via a drainage valve on the downstairs radiator as this is all i have, i also turned off all the hot water and central heating before proceeding, i have bled all the radiators and this still hasn't fixed the problem. Can anyone offer any help as i have three kids who need a bath !!!

Sponsored Links
I have a back boiler that ignites but i do not get any flames?????????

So it doesnt ignite??

Turn both valves on the bathroom rad on and try the hot water. In the old days the bathroom rad would be connected in series on the hot water primary flow.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
The valves on the bathroom radiator are both open but still getting no hot water,(as per Beerlovers suggestion) the radiator is also very hot and is connected to the hot water system. I can hear air bubbles in the pipes that run from downstairs to upstairs so i know there is air in the system somewhere its just not coming out when i bleed the radiators and i also know that the pump is working fine. There seems to be no bleed on the primatic cylinder anywhere. As far as the Burmuda back boiler is concerned you can hear it click to ignite but the green boiler light only stays on for a couple of seconds, then you hear the air in the pipes and it switches off it doesn't ignite the gas to heat the hot water. But when it is on central heating mode on the programmer it lights and the radiators get incredibly hot, i have had to turn the radiators down considerably. How do i get the air out of the system if not through the radiators as it is supposed to be self venting system, will the air work out itself eventually or do i need to keep bleeding the radiators dispite only getting water from the bleed valves ?

OK the air? - is it tinkling or banging?

Have you tried loosening the top union to the cylinder to release any air? - carefully though as old cylinders can get quite thin.

Cheers

F*ck primatic cylinders.. str8 to hell! lol :LOL:
hate em'. try cracking the nut at the top of the cylinder like said in a post above, i would think any air in the cylinder would go up the vent though:confused:, still worth a try
i would empty it all and refill because theres a chance the "air plug" seperating the heating from the hot water is upset in some way, and dont use any inhibitors!

Turn both valves on the bathroom rad on and try the hot water. In the old days the bathroom rad would be connected in series on the hot water primary flow.
Cheers

I have NEVER EVER found a primary circulation in SERIES with a radiator although Noah was an apprentice at the same time as I was.

There must be some pretty w@*nk Plumbers in your area.

Yeah, we've got them all in London, bent female irons instead of locksheilds, one pipe systems, stainless steel pipework and even a gas hob connected by a bent tap connector.

Thats for Terry not meaning to jack you.

Cheers

Thanks to everyone who posted replies to my query. I have loosened the nut on the cylinder and there was air in it. But had to get a man in to get the back boiler to stop overheating, apparently it was because there was a air block in a pipe on the gravity fed hot water circuit which wouldn't move because the boiler kept switching itself off, so he had to basically take the boiler from the thermostat and boil the water to remove the air blockage, now have hot water again. Thanks to everyone again your help was much appreciated !!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back