Help needed, Central heating not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Sorry if this post is a bit long, I just want to include as much information as possible.
I have just moved in to a flat, and the central heating is not working properly.
I do not have a lot of knowledge in this area so please be gentle!

Our system:
I think we have a fully pumped system as whenever we turn any hot tap on I can hear the pump next to the cylinder come on. Also there is another small pump at the back of the 5th image which i believe is for the central heating?
We have a gloworm fuelsaver F boiler that switches on automatically.
Hot water cylinder with honeywell thermostat on it and no immersion heater (I think) and another small tank on top of it.
honeywell wall themostat in hallway
Another honeywell item in 5th picture (silver with cable coming out)
LANDIS & STAEFA RWB9 programmer

I have attached the following images of my set up.

View media item 51930View media item 51931View media item 51932View media item 51933View media item 51934
The problem is that when I select the central heating to come on, nothing happens. The boiler does not fire up, raiators do not come on.

When I select the hot water to come on, the boiler fires up and heats water for the cylinder AND also radiators heat up. The honeywell wall thermostat in hallway does not seem to do anything.
I am not sure but i think the radiators turn off once the cylinder is up to temperature.
We have been here for 2 weeks and currently we are setting the hot water to come on at times we require the heating on!
We only need hot water on for an hour in the morning but its being heated all the time as its the only way we can get the heating on!

Questions!
1. Am I right in thinking that this is costing me more money as water is also being heated for the cylinder unnecessarily?
2. Is there anything easy that I could check to diagnose the problem?
3. Is it possible that the system was wired up to work this way?
I found an instruction manual for a LANDIS & GYR RWB2 programmer in the cupboard so I guess that was originally installed here.
4. How much is this likely to cost to resolve?
5. As we have just moved in I do not know if if has always been like this or if it is indeed a problem?

Any other help or ideas much appreciated.

I have looked at the FAQ but couldn't find anything specific to my problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That other Honeywell item - does it have three pipes or two? I am guessing three and it is sh@gged.

The whole system looks a bit of a dog's breakfast to be honest.

Sponsored Links
I would get an engineer in to sort that out, it looks as though the bypass has been leaking onto the electrical part of the 3-port valve.

One for Andy - Hertsdrainage ( and plumbing ) :mrgreen:

It looks like your problems are related to the 3 port valve.
The programmer supplies power to the room stat. The room stat then supplies power to the 3 port valve. A motor in the valve head drives the valve to the required position. A couple of micro switches control if the valve should go to mid position and stop there or continue on to Central Heating only.
There's a few things that can go wrong.
The motor in the valve head! if that don't work, valve does not move from Hot Water position.
The valve spindle may be stuck at HW and motor not strong enough to move it.
The contacts on the micro switches may be dirty and not making contact.
This can prevent movement even if motor is OK, or it could prevent power coming out from valve to light boiler when CH only is selected.
The above assumes there is no problem with the room stat or programmer.
Needs quick check to prove room stat is OK
A motor replacement for valve head costs around £20. A replacement valve head will be around £50, then there's cost of fitting.
Or you could go for the whole valve body and head, which will most likely be the best solution. (everything new).
So there you have it, programmer (doubt it) Room stat (could be but doubt it ) Wiring (doubt it) 3 port valve (Most likely, almost certain)

The contacts on the micro switches may be dirty and not making contact.

I think that's a given looking at the state of that valve, new valve time me thinks, also the pump is angled slightly up which means air will get trapped in there & could burn it out so it could need a new pump as well, get a RGI/plumber in i think it's about time for a slight refurb of your airing cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back