help needed - PIR recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i am currently starting to second fix my house renovation. the house is empty at niught and i have since decovered an attempted break in. I have now fitted all my door contacts, the panel bell box and keypad. I have not currently bought any pirs but have an old ADE primo and i intend to use just for now in one of the rooms. Do you think this with be ok considering there is a little draught in the house at the mo?

next i need suggestions from some experts on which pirs to buy. i have a texecom panel. I need a pir for my garage, this might obviously have a draught alot of the time. i have the kitchen the pir will be pointing towards a window i cannot help this there is windows borth end of the room. And i have a living room and the upstairs landing which again may get abit of sun etc shining throught he window. Cost is not too much on an issue for good gear but obviously nothing really expensive. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Use dual tech detectors.

What model panel do you have?

Something like this would be ideal.

thanks for the reply. i have a texecom 8 zone panel, can;t remember the model, i upgraded to the lcd keypads. Should i use that pir for all the rooms or just the kitchen and garage? and if a intruder does get in are they just as likely to go off than a normal pir that is more likely to false alarm now and again, thanks

Sponsored Links
Dual techs are just as good at detecting people, but they have a much better immunity to false alarms.

Normal PIRs tend to be fitted to most alarms purely for cost saving. If spending a bit more is not a problem, then I would certainly go with dual techs everwhere.

All my PIRs at home are dual techs. I can't think of one false alarming, not even the ones in the garage or shed.

ok thanks both for your advice, i shall ge them ordered asap then get them fitted. would you just be able to check this link for me? i also need a speaker that connects to the panel. I thought this was it until i read the data and it says its runs at 12v. i just need a 16ohm speaker as far as i am aware.

thanks both for your help.

Which link would that be then? :LOL:

If your panel is a veritas (which it sounds like) then it comes complete with a small speaker included, but I often fit a larger one remotely from the panel.

Something like this would be just the job. :)

Yep, that one is fine.

The R8 is a veritas. Good little panels them :D

I hope you have the R8+. The standard R8 will not accept LCD keypads which you mentioned you have bought.

yes i think it was the plus, im going round there now tho so i will double check, thanks for your time.

dont put tyhe panel IN the loft, or near it. PITA when you need to get to it

its in the bedroom cupboard right at the top, just below the first floor ceiling.

ok thanks for the advice guys, i order 3 pirs yesturday and 2 of them arrived today, toehr was not in stock, have fitted and all seems good. I have not put them on soak test as i need the property secure but i have got faith in them, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back